The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Added New IP Address - Site Showing Great Success Message

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sm9, Oct 10, 2009.

1. sm9

sm9 Active Member

Hi there,

I have a virtual server with a static IP address and I've been using it to host half a dozen or so of my websites.

I needed to install an SSL certificate for one of the websites but I needed the website to have a dedicated static IP address to do this, therefore, I asked my host for one and they have sorted this out for me.

To add the new IP address in WHM, I went to: WHM > IP Functions > Add a New IP Address. I typed in the new static IP address that the host emailed to me (I left the subnet mask as the default value, 255.255.255.0), then clicked Submit.

Then, to change the IP address the this particular website on the server was running, I went to: WHM > IP Functions > Change Site's IP Address. I then clicked on the domain in the list, clicked the Change button, then the new IP address was in the dropdown button, so I clicked the Change button again.

I then got the following message:

I updated the A record for the domain name to the new IP address (as my domain uses the name servers of my domain host) about 36 hours ago but every time I navigate to the URL of this website, I jut get the "Great Success ! Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server" message.

I've done a DNS lookup and propagation does seem to have taken place, so I think I must need to do something else to make the web server serve this particular website - can anyone help or advise me please?

Thanks,

Stephen

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Is the site you selected to use for the dedicated IP the main domain that your server's hostname is based off of? For example, if I have a domain happypanda.com on a server I've given the hostname bamboo.happypanda.com, this then means that bamboo.happypanda.com is technically a subdomain on this domain.

When I change the domain's IP for happypanda.com, Apache tries to change the default IP for the subdomain in httpd.conf to that IP as well, which then makes the site via the IP and domain show the main default server page.

Another way this could happen is if your entry ended up at the top of the VirtualHosts section where the default server page would normally be located.

Basically, no matter what, it normally is going to be something in httpd.conf that is the issue, so you would need to view /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to see where the domain is appearing in it.

Thanks.

3. sm9

sm9 Active Member

Hi there,

I'm not that technical about this so please bear with me if I'm not understanding this right, but the server is a Virtual Server (i.e. not shared hosting) so when it was setup by the host, all I had was my login to WHM, i.e. the server itself is not in the name of any particular domain name.

Set add a domain name onto the server, I create a new Account in WHM, and this is when I enter domain names. I have about half a dozen cPanel accounts for the different websites.

This particular website also has its own cPanel account, and it is the main (and only) domain in that cPanel account.

I've just gone into httpd.conf and have found the following entry for this particular domain in it:

For info, here's what an entry looks like for another domain/account on this server that is still using the original IP address and is working fine:

The domain I'm having problems with, since changing the IP address, is not the first in the list of VirtualHost's and appears about 2/3rds toward the bottom of the list. There are differences between the above two sets of code but the differences don't mean anything to me I'm afraid.

I can PM you the entire file if it helps, or can try anything else that is suggested.

Thanks,

Stephen

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Stephen,

Would you be able to open a ticket to us about it? That might be the easiest way for us to help you figure out what's happening without you having to provide personal details on the forum. You can go into WHM's Support Center, then click on the "Contact cPanel" link to open a ticket to our system.

Thanks.

5. sm9

sm9 Active Member

Hi there,

Just to follow up, I opened a ticket and the issue ended up being a hosting issue - the web host had added the new IP address to the wrong server!

It's now added to the right server, and the above process I followed originally now works fine.

Thanks,

Stephen

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Glad it's now sorted out and working for you :)