The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Added subdomain but "DNS lookup failed"

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Kenny C, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Kenny C

Kenny C Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have added a few subdomains to my cPanel domain and it looks like they were added to the DNS and pointing to the same IP but when I try to visit the subdomain I get:

This webpage is not available
    ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

The server at dev.mydomainname.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. I have added an index.html file in the sub folder that is within public_html. I have done this before and seems as though everything is correct but am I missing something?

Are there some things I should check to make sure it is all set up correctly? I know these subfolders are also already set up as 755 permissions. Please help!

2. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Subdomains sometimes take time to propagate. Meantime check the dns zone file of main domain if you have access to the server.
    If not then ask your hosting provider and ensure that subdomains are added correctly in dns zone file of main domain.

3. Kenny C

Kenny C Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Okay, it's been around 12 hours and I have heard it could take up to 48. So I guess it could still be propagating. I don't have access to the server unfortunately.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You should also verify the domain name in question uses name servers associated with the cPanel server. You may need to manually add the "A" records for these subdomains if the DNS is handled externally.

Thank you.

5. Kenny C

Kenny C Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    The new subdomain should be using the same servers that are associated with the cPanel server. All I want is to create a development or staging environment for this existing site. I added the subdomain which seemed to have automatically added the A record pointing to the correct IP. Do I need to add a CNAME record?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You do not have to add any custom records if the name servers for the domain name are associated with the cPanel server. I suggest contacting your web hosting provider to report the issue (your access level suggests a lack of root access) if the subdomains have yet to resolve.

Thank you.