The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding 15,000 park domains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tharakan, Sep 17, 2005.

1. tharakan

tharakan Registered

Hello,

I have to park 15,000 domains on my main account. I am not joking.. I have to park 15 thousand domains...
    And Iam getting mad of it.
    To add them individually from the Cpanel is not at all practical. I thought of some scripting. Iam not that expert in scripting. I somehow managed to add an alias in the httpd.conf file for them, but the named seems to be a big task . Shall I have to add the zone file for each domain and also add the corresponding entry in named.conf?
    It would be appreciated if anyone could shed some light.

Regards,
    Tharakan

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should be able to modify/use the code in /scripts/park to bulk add them. That said, 15,000 VirtualHost containers in apache will need considerable server resources, so I hope your server is welled specced ;)

3. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You probably don't really want to park them :) I'd suggest looking into wildcard solutions for this, I think managing 15,000 parked domains is going to drive you insane.

If you can use a DNS wildcard coupled with the default Apache page, I think you'll find a pretty good solution that won't push you towards self mutilation. :cool:

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    15,000 domains? :eek:

At 8 bucks a year for each?

5. adutopia

adutopia Registered

15k domains

I have 5k and there is an easier solution.. Depends on what exactly you are trying to accomplish. HIt me up and i should be able to help you

6. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Why not just give the main website its own IP address and then setup dns elsewhere like regular BIND to just resolve the www.domain.com's to the IP. We have customers with 100+ domains but on the webserver it only has 2 or 3 domans but our dns servers (not cpanels) just have db records which point to the ip address.

7. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

Besides what was already mentioned regarding Apache configuration file getting massive and probably taking 2 hours to start. The same will be true for your named service. If you insert 15,000 entries to named it will take a LONG time to start and god forbid you have an incorrect entry somewhere and you don't know which...

I've seen servers with over 2k domains that take a good few minutes for the service to start because the config files for named are so large. Just a little note to be careful... wildcard DNS might be the way to go for sure.

8. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

I had a client do 3,500 domains when they used to be $70 for two years at Network Solutions (remember when you had to do two years). He did it for several years but the guy was loaded.

9. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Bulk you can get them for $2 - $5. Have the registrar do the dns to your main website and keep the load away from your server.

10. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

We have one customer who added 400 subdomains to his account. Needless to say the loads on the box were skyrocketting at this time. Up around 8+. I would image adding 15,000 domains would probably bring down the box. 15K in domains in my opinion is just ludicrous! If you can afford to keep those regsitered you can afford about 100 dedicated servers to put them on. :rolleyes:

11. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I wouldn't do this in cpanel itself, though you can do it on a cpanel machine. In other words, don't create the subdomains etc in cpanel, that will drive you more nuts than you are already for agreeing to do this. :rolleyes:

You should be able to setup a wildcard in Bind to a special IP (you could do that with Bind on your normal IP address; or have a special Bind, or Bernstein's tinydns or walldns servers, listening on a diffent IP address). Then have the nameservers point to that IP and you're right for name service. (Note - the "special" IP should not be your machine's main shared IP!!)

As far as the web service, have the above special IP go to a default page by creating a virtual container for that IP which allows that. Then organize the page scripting (PHP or whatever) to display the appropriate page. Apache 2.0 might be faster for you. Make sure you do something intelligent with attempts to email those domains, or you will be dictionary attacked out of existence. The people above mentioning much pain are probably suffering from mail dictionary attacks, or similar web spammer attacks. Might be worth spreading the web load across a number of IPs so if you do get attacked you have some way of isolating what domain it's against.

With this strategy set up I'd guess you could cope with many, many thousands of domains - 10-15,000 as a minimum on a well spec-ed machine. After all, on average I'd guess each domain is going to get at most a few accesses an hour - say 15,000 / 3600 secs/hour = 4 accesses per second, amounting to a very load.

Not that I should be helping, I think domain hoarders are a plague on the internet!!! Begone you evil spawn!!!! :D

12. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yep makes yuh wonder if any of them use the name texas or holdem..