The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a DNS zone from outside WHM

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by danf, Dec 18, 2007.

1. danf

danf Active Member

We're using our cPanel servers as DNS severs for domains not hosted on cPanel. We can add the zone in WHM, then modify the zone file to make it a slave zone, then the zone will be updated by the master. I would like to be able to add the domain on the command line instead of in the WHM web interface, though, so it can be automated.

I watched the process list when adding a zone in WHM, and I saw these processes:

dnsadmin - ZONEEXISTS - MJFmNa1hMGYXs7pfNknhnx4gOIBGtZKB (MASTER)
    dnsadmin - ZONEEXISTS - MJFmNa1hMGYXs7pfNknhnx4gOIBGtZKB (REMOTE)

Is the interface to dnsadmin documented, or is only intended to be run by WHM?

If I can't use dnsadmin, is there another "blessed" way to add zones to Bind? I don't want to clobber any cPanel changes by writing directly to named.conf.

Thanks.

--df

2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Adding DNS Zones to named.conf should not cause any issues and should not be overwritten as even /scripts/rebuldnamedconf checks for the zone files in /var/named/ and adds the lines accordingly.

3. danf

danf Active Member

Thanks, but now I'm a little concerned. If /scripts/rebuldnamedconf does what its name implies, it could overwrite changes that I have put in named.conf. I have some items to the options in that file (allow-transfer and allow-notify), and the zones I have added have options that are different from the standard cPanel-added zones (type slave; masters { ... }).

Are my changes in danger?

--df

4. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

They shouldn't be /scripts/rebuildnamedconf would only be used if you have corruption and need to rebuild your conf file.