The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding additional IP's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Funana, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Funana

Funana Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there,

I am new to c-panel and new to the forums. I use c-panel because the servermanagement I paid for works only with c-panel. But now I have to work on it. :eek:

I need to add some additional IP's. I read the docs but they are not clear to me.

I please my server mangemant to add the IP's for me - but the IP's do not resolve. (Since 8 days.)
    I can see that they put the IP's in c-panel but traceroute still says that the trace do not reach my host:
    Tracing route to 184.171.162.233 [184.171.162.233]...

hop rtt rtt rtt ip address fully qualified domain name
    1 2 1 1 70.84.211.97 61.d3.5446.static.theplanet.com
    2 0 0 0 70.87.254.1 po101.dsr01.dllstx5.networklayer.com
    3 0 0 0 70.85.127.105 po51.dsr01.dllstx3.networklayer.com
    4 0 0 0 173.192.18.228 ae16.bbr02.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com
    5 0 73 0 173.192.18.208 ae7.bbr01.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com
    6 28 28 28 173.192.18.141 ae0.bbr01.cs01.lax01.networklayer.com
    7 61 50 50 206.223.143.113 highwinds.com.any2ix.coresite.com
    8 66 91 72 209.197.0.22 e2-1.r1.ph.hwng.net
    9 41 41 41 69.16.190.250 cwie-1.ph.hwng.net
    10 41 41 41 108.170.0.33
    11 46 41 54 184.171.162.233

I ask my hostingprovider for this issue and support says:

"I have confirmed that your IP ranges are allocated properly on our networking equipment, but it does not appear that your secondary range is assigned to your server. Please ensure that they are assigned properly and try connecting to one of them again."

I don't understand what is wrong an gave the answer to my servermanagement yesterday and please them to corright the issue but I get no resonable answer, nor where the ticket resolved.

So, I guess the only chance to get my additional IP's is to learn how to set them up by myself.

I would appreciate if I can get a professional help here because I am on a manually servermigration with more than 100 domains and I am tired.

Thank you

2. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    First off, I would not necessarily trust your hosting provider telling you that the IPs are correctly setup on their end in their network routing as I've seen far too many say that and it turn out to be a problem in the setup on their end and not on the server itself causing the problem.

With that said, there can be a great many reasons why your IPs are not working which could be caused either by the configuration on your server or by the routers at your hosting provider. It can also be not working if some other server at your hosting provider's network is using the same IPs either accidentally double assigning the IPs or if some other server user is using IPs they were not authorized to use!

The first thing to look at is the configuration on your own server and make sure the IPs do in fact appear in "WHM" and also "ifconfig" in your server's Linux configuration. Are the IPs correct? Do you have the correct netmask? A common mistake is to install the correct IP address but use the wrong netmask!

Typical netmask is 255.255.255.0 but many hosts also use other variations for their local network such as 255.255.255.254, 255.255.255.192, and so forth so you need to make certain you are using the correct netmask for your provider or your IP addresses again will not work properly.

Once the IP addresses are installed, they will not function until the network interface is restarted on your server. This can be done from the Linux shell (WHM can't always be reliable to do this) but the quickest easiest way to make 100% certain the network interface is restarted after a new IP installation is just simply reboot the server!

Apache (your web server) will not immediately recognize the IPs if you don't rebuild the Apache configuration so do not necessarily rely on whether or not you can connect to the IPs from the web to know if they are working or not. You should try to ping the IPs and see if you get any response from those IPs and that will be your first indication that the IPs are working. You could also try to access another service that doesn't require specific IP configuration such as SSH and see if you can make a connection using the new IPs verses your main server IP address.

As a side footnote mention, any firewall application such as CSF, APF, or even Iptables itself can actually interfere with connectivity of newly added IP addresses on servers so also make sure any firewall is configured correctly as well.

Hopefully the above information helps you out. If you think you need any additional help or would just like someone to take a real quick look to see what is actually going on, I'd be more than happy to give you a hand with that.

Good luck with your new IP installation situation

3. Funana

Funana Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks NetMantis,

I see the problem is more complex.
    For those complex problems I have booked "PlatiniumServerManagement." And incause of them c-panel have a new customer!
    But what to do if they won't look at the issue?

Ty

4. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Not a problem ... I sent you a private message with details how to contact me.

In all probability, I could likely tell you in a matter of few seconds what exactly is wrong.

In any case though, following the guidelines of the items to look at in my previous message above should help you or your server management company quickly track down the source of the problem.

5. Funana

Funana Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I got an answer.
    First they saying it it my fault because I don't re-open the old 8 days old ticket but file a new one.
    Second they say, that the settings provided are wrong or that they are not
    routing to the server. I should ask the datacenter to check the following settings
    and confirm that they are correct

I am so amazed!
    No I waiting for the response of my hoster (this will be done in few minutes) and than I have to sit back, maybe one or two days again for the server management to give me a reply.

6. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You have been waiting to get your IPs working for 8 days? :eek:

Two days ???? Wow! Didn't know anyone took that long --- should be more like 2 hours, not 2 days. ;)

7. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Per what you just said and assuming your server management company has properly fully checked everything then I refer you back again to what I said in the first paragraph of my first message about about not trusting what your hosting provider says about them setting up everything correctly on their end.

It sounds like from what you've just said that your hosting provider in fact may have not setup their end correctly after all.

Double check again the IPs and netmasks on your server against the information that your hosting provider gave you and if those do in fact match, combined with what your server management company already said, there is a very good chance that the problem is on your hosting provider's side and they probably didn't setup the routing correctly for those IP addresses in order to properly route to your server.

8. Funana

Funana Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My hosting providers support is *sneak peak*. They make my IP's work in a few minutes.

They wrote:
    It appears that the secondary range was added to eth0 on your server not eth1 which is were the actual network cable is plugged into.

As a courtesy to you we have added the secondary range to your server for you you will need to log out of cPanel/WHM and log back in to see the ip addresses.

-------------------
    Yaaaayyyy !

9. Funana

Funana Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes I know, but what to do if they ignore me?

I have a very good hosting provider (securedservers) with an famous support (but unfortunately not managed).
    And I have for the server managemant PMS. Most time they doing a god job but with the IP's not.

10. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If your hosting provider continues to say the problem is not on their end and your current server management company fails to step in and handle that issue with your hosting provider on your behalf as they really should be doing, that is what you are paying them for --- then go ahead and use the email address I gave you in the private message earlier to contact me!

Upon your asking, I will verify the problem really truly on the end of the hosting provider and not some configuration item on your server itself and I will personally talk to your provider and help you get this sorted out!

Nobody it going to point fingers around me and say oh "it's not our fault, blah blah blah!" :D

EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw you already wrote me and based on the information you wrote in the email and relayed to me from your hosting provider, it sounds very much like it really is your server management company who is to blame for your IPs not working. I'm writing a reply back to you now to make it easier to understand what it is that your hosting provider was telling you in their message with regard to the incorrect network adapter being used.

#10 NetMantis, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  11. BGTECH

BGTECH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have the same issue with the same hosting provider, i have to restart the network for the second IP block to work /etc/init.d/network restart

12. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should not need to restart the network service if you add additional IP addresses the cPanel way, using Home » IP Functions » Add a New IP Address.

If you ever do need to restart the network service, for any reason, you also need to restart the ipaliases service. ipaliases is what cPanel uses to bind the additional IP addresses to the network interface. Additional IP addresses added using cPanel are listed in /etc/ips. They do not have entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. Use this command to restart ipaliases so the additional IP addresses will be bound:

Code:
    # /scripts/restartsrv_ipaliases