The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding addon domain not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drsprite, Dec 27, 2007.

1. drsprite

drsprite Active Member

Hello all,

When I try to add an add-on domain to my cpanel account, i get the following error. I've changed the domain names to protect the innocent ;)

I am the server system admin, and i tried to make these changes to named, and httpd.conf myself and named wouldn't reload, i removed the entries and named worked again. so i think cpanel has some information locked somewhere.

can you help?

thanks!

--------

Addon Domain Additions

Bind reloading on testbox using rndc zone: [test.com] The subdomain, newdomain.test.com has been added.

Error from park wrapper: newdomain.com is already configured.

Removed newdomain.test.com Server at line: 2285. Removed Entry from httpd.conf Bind reloading on testbox using rndc zone: [test.com] The subdomain, newdomain.test.com has been removed.

newdomain.com could not be setup. The subdomain newdomain.test.com was not setup either.

2. ManojB

ManojB Well-Known Member

This error occurs when addon is not added correctly and a entry is left somewhere:
    check following files and remove the entry of the addon domain that u are not able to add:

/var/cpanel/users
    /var/named/ del the domain.db file
    /etc/named.conf
    /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
    /etc/localdomains
    /etc/userdomains
    /etc/valiases/
    /etc/vdomainaliases/
    /etc/trueuserdomains
    /etc/trueuserowners
    /etc/vmail/
    cd /var/cpanel/bandwidth/

3. louish

louish Member

What a pain this is. I just ran into this problem when all I needed to do is change which folder the add-on domain was pointing to. I wish you could just change the folder in cpanel. I had to recreate all the forwarders, pop3accounts, mx records, etc. I deleted the domain, the immediatly re-set it up and I couldnt. The culprit was /etc/named.conf

Its pretty lame this happens. I've had it happen before too. Should be fixed by now.

4. drsprite

drsprite Active Member

I tried this and i am still getting the same error as posted above. any other ideas? i removed everything with reference to the domain.

thanks again

5. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

Seems that you are setting up addon domain from cPanel. Are you sure that the domain that is being setup as an addon domain points to your own Nameservers? If not, then cPanel will not setup the addon domain. The work around is just create the subdomain 'newdomain' from cPanel and setup the addon domain on this subdomain from WHM >> DNS Functions >> Park A Domain.

6. drsprite

drsprite Active Member

yes i am using the correct NS.

the weird thing is that i can add the domain if i create a new user account on the machine, but i can't have it added onto an existing account... why is that?

7. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you mean the folder that servers as the DocumentRoot, I recommend you switch to using the X3 theme as that is one of its features.

8. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Something I find strange about this problem is this...

When the domain cant be added and the addon / park fails, the process MUST know in what file it found the entry for the domain.

As this problem happens quite frequently and has done for years, it would be sensible for the addon / park process to output to the cpanel error log exactly where it found the entry for the domain so that you could simply check the log, clear out the relevent files and add the domain again.

Its clear that the problem has been around for a long time and cpanel have been unable to prevent it from happening. In which case you would think they could at the very least add some decent error reporting to the process to help us resolve it more quickly.

I'm having this problem now and I've checked every possible file for an instance of this domain or the subdomain its also trying to create.

Both appeared in the corresponding /var/cpanel/users file. The domain I was trying to add also appeared in localdomains and in valiases. I checked everything and cleared it out then tried again....

Error from park wrapper: domain.com is already configured

I've now done this 4 times and still the same error. Its very frustrating, very annoying and I'm getting very pee'd off with it now.

Looks like I'll need to log a support ticket.