The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Domain Alias When Not Running Local DNS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jazee, Aug 4, 2016.

1. jazee

jazee Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I tried to add a domain alias and got an error message that the domain couldn't be resolved on the local server. I am not running any DNS on the local server because DNS for all my domains is handled by my registrar so in the DNS setting when I setup WHM I didn't turn on BIND and selected the disabled option. The remote DNS A record entry for the alias domain I'm trying to add points to the correct/same IP as the domain I'm aliasing.

Am I required to run DNS locally, even though it isn't being used, just to be able to add alias domains?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Running DNS locally is not required. The behavior you reported stems from the configured options under the "Domains" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings". You can address this issue by adding the remote name server IP addresses via the following option in Web Host Manager:

"WHM Home » IP Functions » Configure Remote Service IPs"

Select the "Remote Name Server IPs" tab and proceed to add the IP addresses.

Thank you.