Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Adding Failover IP's subnet

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by darwin7, Nov 30, 2017.

1. darwin7

darwin7 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good morning
    I just purchased a new server and a failover subnet/29 associated to it.
    Then, I installed minimal Centos7.4 and Cloudlinux.
    Since I have a poor knowledge of networking, I not installed/configured the subnet in the OS.
    During the cPanel installation, I installed the failover subnet/29 using the appropriate interface (Add a new IP address).

Everything run smoothly, and the new IP's are regularly seen from both cPanel and CentOS+CL.

Then, to better understand how cPanel managed the new IP/29, I checked /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and I found nothing changed. The directory is untouched as it was after the CentOS+CL installation.
    The only changes I found is two new files: /etc/ipaddrpool and /etc/ips.
    Both CentOS's NetworkManager (nmtui) and ifconfig -a see the new IP's! Interface is enp2s0.

Now, the question is: how/where cPanel manages the new IP's pool? What OS configuration files are used? Since /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts seem not used, how can the OS see the new subnet IP's?

Thank you

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

ipaddrpool and ips are the 2 files where it stores the IP information that you give in the WHM interface..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. darwin7

darwin7 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, thank you! As I wrote in the post, I know this.
    I need to understand what happen in OS's side.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

This is not automatically handled with the cPanel & WHM software, as is something you need to setup manually on the OS. The CentOS forums might be a better resource for how to do this. EX:

CENTOS 7, VMWARE and OVH Failover IP - CentOS

Note that Network Manager can override settings managed by the network service and disrupt ipaliases. It's unsupported, and enabling it is not recommend (even post-installation). An additional document is available at:

How to Disable Network Manager - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. darwin7

darwin7 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello cPanelMichael

luckily, its a machine that I can easily rebuild, because I just made this mistake.
    I've read on the Internet lot of pages mentioning NetworkManager and I thought it was the standard tool with Centos7.
    I will try to remove, otherwise I will rebuild the whole server (that is not in use yet).

Thank you very much

Update: maybe "NM_CONTROLLED=no" will help me. Thanks