Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Failover IP's subnet

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by darwin7, Nov 30, 2017.

1. darwin7

darwin7 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good morning
    I just purchased a new server and a failover subnet/29 associated to it.
    Then, I installed minimal Centos7.4 and Cloudlinux.
    Since I have a poor knowledge of networking, I not installed/configured the subnet in the OS.
    During the cPanel installation, I installed the failover subnet/29 using the appropriate interface (Add a new IP address).

Everything run smoothly, and the new IP's are regularly seen from both cPanel and CentOS+CL.

Then, to better understand how cPanel managed the new IP/29, I checked /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and I found nothing changed. The directory is untouched as it was after the CentOS+CL installation.
    The only changes I found is two new files: /etc/ipaddrpool and /etc/ips.
    Both CentOS's NetworkManager (nmtui) and ifconfig -a see the new IP's! Interface is enp2s0.

Now, the question is: how/where cPanel manages the new IP's pool? What OS configuration files are used? Since /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts seem not used, how can the OS see the new subnet IP's?

Thank you

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

ipaddrpool and ips are the 2 files where it stores the IP information that you give in the WHM interface..

3. darwin7

darwin7 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, thank you! As I wrote in the post, I know this.
    I need to understand what happen in OS's side.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This is not automatically handled with the cPanel & WHM software, as is something you need to setup manually on the OS. The CentOS forums might be a better resource for how to do this. EX:

CENTOS 7, VMWARE and OVH Failover IP - CentOS

Note that Network Manager can override settings managed by the network service and disrupt ipaliases. It's unsupported, and enabling it is not recommend (even post-installation). An additional document is available at:

How to Disable Network Manager - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

5. darwin7

darwin7 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello cPanelMichael

luckily, its a machine that I can easily rebuild, because I just made this mistake.
    I've read on the Internet lot of pages mentioning NetworkManager and I thought it was the standard tool with Centos7.
    I will try to remove, otherwise I will rebuild the whole server (that is not in use yet).

Thank you very much

Update: maybe "NM_CONTROLLED=no" will help me. Thanks