darwin7

Jun 9, 2011
Milan
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Good morning
I just purchased a new server and a failover subnet/29 associated to it.
Then, I installed minimal Centos7.4 and Cloudlinux.
Since I have a poor knowledge of networking, I not installed/configured the subnet in the OS.
During the cPanel installation, I installed the failover subnet/29 using the appropriate interface (Add a new IP address).

Everything run smoothly, and the new IP's are regularly seen from both cPanel and CentOS+CL.

Then, to better understand how cPanel managed the new IP/29, I checked /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and I found nothing changed. The directory is untouched as it was after the CentOS+CL installation.
The only changes I found is two new files: /etc/ipaddrpool and /etc/ips.
Both CentOS's NetworkManager (nmtui) and ifconfig -a see the new IP's! Interface is enp2s0.

Now, the question is: how/where cPanel manages the new IP's pool? What OS configuration files are used? Since /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts seem not used, how can the OS see the new subnet IP's?

Thank you

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Then, to better understand how cPanel managed the new IP/29, I checked /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and I found nothing changed. The directory is untouched as it was after the CentOS+CL installation.
Hello,

This is not automatically handled with the cPanel & WHM software, as is something you need to setup manually on the OS. The CentOS forums might be a better resource for how to do this. EX:

CENTOS 7, VMWARE and OVH Failover IP - CentOS

Both CentOS's NetworkManager (nmtui) and ifconfig -a see the new IP's! Interface is enp2s0.
Note that Network Manager can override settings managed by the network service and disrupt ipaliases. It's unsupported, and enabling it is not recommend (even post-installation). An additional document is available at:

How to Disable Network Manager - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

darwin7

Jun 9, 2011
Milan
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Note that Network Manager can override settings managed by the network service and disrupt ipaliases. It's unsupported, and enabling it is not recommend (even post-installation). An additional document is available at:
How to Disable Network Manager - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation
Thank you.
Hello cPanelMichael

luckily, its a machine that I can easily rebuild, because I just made this mistake.
I've read on the Internet lot of pages mentioning NetworkManager and I thought it was the standard tool with Centos7.
I will try to remove, otherwise I will rebuild the whole server (that is not in use yet).

Thank you very much

Update: maybe "NM_CONTROLLED=no" will help me. Thanks