The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding IP Address

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gotalk, Feb 3, 2009.

1. gotalk

gotalk Member

Sorry for the elementary nature of this post. I'm a newbie. I'm on a VPS running CP11. I currently have one shared IP. I need to add an IP address in WHM so that I can host a secure site on a dedicated IP. First, how do I choose the IP? Do I have to check for availablility somehow. Second what do I select as a mask? The default is 255.255.255.0. Thanks for your time.

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You will have to ask your host to add the IP for you, I believe IPs cannot be added on a VPS via "Add a New IP Address" properly. It works fine for dedicated servers. They may charge you for that extra IP and then add it from the VPS hardware node.

3. gotalk

gotalk Member

Thanks Howard. There is a little more to the story that I left out to simplify my original post. I actually was able to add an IP and use it for several months. It suddenly went down a few days ago and I can't even ping the IP address from another machine. I was able to ping it from the server. I added another Ip through WHM and moved the site to the new IP and that's when I realized there was a conflict. The site actually resolved to a different domain. I assume you are correct and that I need to have my provider add the IP for me.