The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding more space

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smarcellini, Jun 11, 2003.

1. smarcellini

smarcellini Well-Known Member

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda6 ext3 494M 332M 136M 71% /
    /dev/hda1 ext3 99M 43M 51M 46% /boot
    /dev/hda5 ext3 16G 714M 14G 5% /home
    none tmpfs 251M 0 250M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda2 ext3 38G 3.0G 32G 9% /usr
    /dev/hda7 ext3 1004M 275M 677M 29% /var

I've noticed that the root (/) is 71% full and the /home is only 5% full. The server is only used for webhosting. The root is only partitioned to 494M. We added a 120G harddrive and want to know what is the best way to utilize the diskspace for the new drive. Is there a way to re-partition the root (/) so it is larger than 494M and it doesnt fill up soon. I just fill like 494M isnt enough and would hate for it to fill up and cpanel stop functioning even though the other partitions have plenty of space. Hope this makes sense.

Also, in cpanel for format/mount new harddrive, does it find all the drives or only the unmounted/unformatted ones? It shows Found Disk: hdb which im guessing is the new drive we added and Found Disk: hdc which should be the cdrom. I just dont want to format the current drive which should be HBA.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. NNNils

NNNils Well-Known Member

In my experience, /root doesn't grow or at least doesn't grow much, so I would say you not have to worry.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: