The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding new php on dedicated server through WHM or other method?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gosa, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Gosa

Gosa Member

Hi,

I have access to WHM on the dedicated server and obviously cpanel on the individual accounts.

In cPanel (11) under "Software/services" -> PHP Confiuguration.
    You have 3 options: PHP 4, PHP 5 (which is 5.2.17) and System default.
    Schermafbeelding 2012-09-13 om 10.05.58.png

I'd like to add php 5.3 to the list but I don't want it to be the default (for now) when you create a new account in WHM cause I don't know the impact yet. Also all existing accounts should NOT be affected by adding the new version PHP 5.3

So my question is: Is it possible to add PHP 5.3 in WHM or through another way (SSH) without it affecting current accounts and make it appear under "PHP Configuration" so it can be choosen.
    That way you have 4 options: PHP 4, PHP 5.2.17 (instead of 5 if possible), PHP 5.3 and system default.

I'm not sure if this screen (WHM - Configure PHP and SuExec) is any use to you:
    Schermafbeelding 2012-09-13 om 10.34.40.png

If you need any additional information please tell me and I will take printscreens if needed.
    By the way I'm using WHM 11.32.4 (build 15)
    CENTOS 5.8 i686 standard on hosted

Thanks!!!!!

Regards,

Gosa

#1 Gosa, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    5.2.17 is deprecated.
    5.3.15 is EOL.
    5.3.16 is the latest available in EasyApache.
    These details are seen on the EasyApache update screens.

I would think the answer to your question is, no. Sorry.

Unless you've got some old scripts going for some odd reason, you should update to the latest. IMHO.

3. Gosa

Gosa Member

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer.
    By "no", do you mean it's not possible to have 5.2 still as an option when adding 5.3.16?
    So I can't have 5.2.17 and 5.3.16 at the same time? (not running at the same time of course :))
    I don't understand why it's not possible when now I can still choose php 4 and 5?
    Now that I think of it: Is it because you can only have one PHP 5 version?

You are correct about older scripts. I have several Joomla sites on several accounts.
    But more and more components require 5.3 but older joomla sites only work with 5.2.17.
    You see my dilemma?

Regards,

Gosa

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes I do. Time to upgrade those, they're unsafe and will be much more of an issue at some point. Carrying them along is not helpful I don't think. Older PHP versions are not secure. Aside from the out of date Joomla installs.

You can run 4 and 5 but that requires an additional line in your htaccess as cPanelTristan has posted here:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/php-4-php-5-same-web-server-243562.html#post1004311

I don't think 2 versions of PHP 5 is the way to go. My apologies for not having a better answer for you, but security is more important than carrying along some out of date Joomla installs, really.