Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Adding rules to spamassassin/configserver.cf have no effect.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by jols, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Hi, I've asked this question at configserver.com a few days ago, but so far no response. So I am wondering if anyone here, can shed some light?

I have also combed through all the SA on-line docs and form posts that I can find, still no joy.

I am not trying to block, but just elevate the overall SA score if email is sent from certain TLDs.

I've read all the form/group posts and spamassassin instructions pages I can find, but still there's no mention of these new scores in any new headers that I can find (that is sending from one of these domains).

Here are the new rules I have added to:

/etc/mail/spamassassin/configserver.cf

header LOCAL_LS_FROM_DOT_ME ALL =~ /*\.me/i
    score LOCAL_LS_FROM_DOT_ME 2.1

header LOCAL_LS__FROM_DOT_US ALL =~ /*\.us/i
    score LOCAL_LS_FROM_DOT_US 1.6

header LOCAL_LS_FROM_DOT_RU ALL =~ /*\.ru/i
    score LOCAL_LS_FROM_DOT_RU 2.2

header LOCAL_LS_FROM_DOT_RO ALL =~ /*\.ro/i
    score LOCAL_LS_FROM_DOT_RO 2.2

Do these look okay? Should I restart spamassassin somehow in order for these to take effect, if so, then how would I do this, out side of restarting WHMCS --> Mailscanner

Thanks much.

Also, I found instructions to run the following after making a rule change to check for errors:

spamassassin --lint

But this does not work at shell. I've searched for a spamassassin binary, so that I may run this command, but can find none.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Have you tried implementing a custom rule like this on an environment without a third-party application such as MailScanner installed? You may want to temporarily disable MailScanner and try implementing the rules directly with SpamAsassin. As for the rules themselves, I will leave this thread open for user-feedback regarding the best way to implement rules like this.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. serichards

serichards Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    When I look on my centos installation it tells me spamassassin is in /usr/local/bin

I used the which command. Installing mailscanner may lead to spamassassin being moved elsewhere.

Found on another forum that mailscanner could put them in: Try creating your rules in /usr/mailcleaner/share/spamassassin instead.

Also if the whitelist/blacklist shortcircuit plugin is being used then could be skipping checking those if those domains are already in a blacklist.

4. kdean

kdean Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not familiar with what changes Mailscanner applies, but with the default cPanel installed spamassassin I just edit my config here:

/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

5. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help folks, I really appreciate it.

According to ConfigServer I should be able to enter the rules where I did:

/etc/mail/spamassassin/configserver.cf

... and everything should be just fine. I will continue to research the best location for this, but do the rules themselves look okay?

6. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Thanks again folks. I ended up putting the rules at the following per one of the suggestions above:

/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

And if anybody is interested, here's what I found works well:

If you want to add SA scoring to any email where there is a Russian email address in the header, then just use something like this:

header FROM_DOT_RU ALL =~ /\b@.{1,25}\.ru\b/i
    score FROM_DOT_RU 2.20

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am happy to see you found a solution. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...