The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding second server, how to handle DNS?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by vitaemachina, Jan 15, 2013.

1. vitaemachina

vitaemachina Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, I've been running a WHM/cPanel server for about 8 months now, and finally have started to feel like it's time to add a second server into the mix. Currently my server does hosting as well as DNS on the same server. My question is how should I go about handling things on a second server? I'd like for both servers to be reachable by the same set of nameservers, but I'm not sure if that's even possible (DNS isn't really my strong suit).

I'm assuming I need to be using the first server as a master server to handle DNS stuff, and have it propagated/mirrored over to the second server, but what I'm reading via cPanels documentation is a bit confusing for me. It seems to suggest I need extra additional systems to run DNSONLY installs on or something similar, which isn't what I want to do. End goal - two servers, one set of nameservers, able to distribute accounts between the servers freely. How do I get there? Thanks so much for any help :)

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter: