Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding shell access for users questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spork Schivago, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:24 PM.

Tags:
  1. Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

We have two domains setup, and one is an alias for the other. We're trying to add a second account to whm / cpanel and then a third account, and provide all three with ssh access and write abilities to /home/<domain_owner's_home>/public_html, but also give them access to those two domain's cpanel and whm access.

How do we go about doing that? We've had a heck of a time so far....any suggestions? I can add an account and get email, but I can't figure out how to add an account to give me access to WHM / cPanel. Once I figure that out, I'll be able to add SSH just fine....any suggestions?

Would I have to do this through an SSH session and manually add the username, and setup the ssh stuff? Make sure they're added to the domain user's group, so they have write permission to the website stuff?

Essentially, we are a team of three people, working on the site, and all three people need SSH access, but the VPS has a third domain that I'd rather not give the other users access to.

Thanks!

#1 Spork Schivago, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:24 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018 at 4:28 AM
  2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

Each account's default user is able to SSH if the feature is added to the account. At this time you cannot add multiple users per account. We do have some other forum threads which address adding SSH users which might be helpful for you:

Multiple shell+ftp users under 1 cpanel account
    Multiple unix users per cPanel account
    Adding SSH User

We also have a feature request open for multiple cPanel users (subusers) which might blend into what you're requesting as well and I would encourage you to log in and vote for it here:

Multiple cPanel Logins (cPanel Subusers)

Thank you,

3. Spork Schivago

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you! We don't use FTP. Only SFTP. FTP shouldn't be an option in WHM / cPanel, only SFTP should be.

But I'll just give him shell access, SFTP access, and he'll just not have access to cPanel unfortunately, but I'm sure he could figure it out. Or we could share Jessica's password for the domain, which I'd rather not do.

4. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Spork Schivago

It definitely sounds like in your case you could benefit from the Subusers feature request! Otherwise, the plan you have now sounds good, let us know if you run into any hiccups!

Thank you,

5. Spork Schivago

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have trouble with my memory, and accidentally closed this window! I forgot to click the feature request, so I'll definitely click it once I'm done with these conference calls for today.

6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider