The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Software Raid?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edstout, Aug 30, 2005.

1. edstout

edstout Member

Ok heres the deal....

Currently have CentOS 4 running cPanel/WHM on a 120Gb drive, my question is...if i put in a 240Gb drive can i partition it into 2 x 120Gb and use one of those paritions to mirror the other 120Gb drive?

The spare 120Gb will just be used for temporary storage of files, that dont really matter whether i loose them or not.

Would want to use software mirroring, can this be added after install, as this server has been up for some time now. Can schedule downtime with users etc thats no problem. Just need to know how to go about it, and whether its likely to screw anything. :)

Cheers guys,

Ed

2. edstout

edstout Member

guess i should add that the first main drive (120Gb physical size) is using LVM(2?) centos 4.1 is using a 2.6 kernel which i believe is LVM2?

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Unless someone has experience of that, you're probably better off asking on the CentOS forums.

4. kieranmullen

kieranmullen Well-Known Member

I would not use lvm2. Apparently people don't think it is too hot either. I had a drive crash in which nothing could be recovered because it was in lvm2 format. No one could suggest any tools to fix it either.

KM