The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding SSH users

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by technonerd, Jun 6, 2005.

1. technonerd

technonerd Registered

I have just purchased some software for my server. The company is a reputable company and offers free initial installation of the software on my server. They state they need SSH access (for advanced trouble shooting), FTP, and an empty database.

My question is in regards to SSH access. When I login to WHM, I see there is a feature called "Manage Wheel Group Users", however, how do I create a user to add to the group?

I contacted my host. They stated to create a new account. That was all. They stated they do not give tutorials on SSH. I am not asking for a tutorial on SSH, I am asking for help on creating a username via WHM to be used for SSH.

The only "create account" I see is under "Create New Account", as in to create an account for a hosting package. After doing such, I do then have a username to "Add" to the group, however, when creating an account, I have to input a domain name. I have tried putting in a false one. This does not seem as if it would work. When I login via SSH with that username/password, I only get access to that fake domain hosting account I input.

How can I create a username that will have access to my main site domain. In addition, is there a way I can limit what a connection will do? The company has given me the IP address they will be connecting from. Therefore, can I specify what permissions a particular IP connection can have? I noticed there is a feature called jailhouse. Is this it?

BTW, I don't exepct a full tutorial on SSH. However, if one does know of some good tutorials on SSH, please post them. I am more than willing to read.

Thanks

2. Narayan

Narayan Member

3. rootuser

rootuser Well-Known Member

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Just add a user to the Wheel Group, that user will be able to SSH to your server.

The user you'll add to the Wheel Group is the username. In any case, the user will be limited to the account you created for him/her. They won't be able to access your own or other virtual server, unless they have/get root access.

Jailshell is your best option, if you want to limit the user to your virtual server. There is no such thing like having two usernames/passwords accessing the same virtual server. You either give that user your own username/password to access your virtual server without restrictions, or change your sheel to jailshell for some restrictions; then change the login information when they are done working on your virtual server.

Hope this helps!

#4 AndyReed, Jun 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Please note that the wheel group is for SU'ing not SSH'ing. Just change the shell access "Manage Shell Access" for the account you want changed or create a normal unix user using the useradd command.