Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Adding to CSF's Temporary Deny via PHP

Discussion in 'Security' started by GoWilkes, Jun 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm using CSF (ConfigServer Firewall). Can you guys suggest a way to add an IP to the Temporary Deny list from a user's PHP?

I know how to do it with the CSF GUI and by SSH, but I'm hoping to figure out a way to add IPs that try to access certain pages that don't exist (like "wp-login.php"). Some of my hosting clients use Wordpress, though, so I can't block ALL references to it; just from my own personal sites that are much higher in traffic and don't use Wordpress.

I'm currently adding IPs to a database that try to access specific pages, and then pages look up user's IP, compares it to the database, and if it's found they get a Forbidden error. But it would be great to block them at the firewall.

2. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If this is correct,
    then you are 90% there already.
    CSF has configuration settings to manage how to add IPs to the firewall that repeatedly generate 403 http status with their requests.
    These settings are used by a LFD action to set Number of 403s to trigger and to set Permanent Block or Temp block with period.
    Search CSF configuration page for...
    LF_APACHE_403
    LF_APACHE_403_PERM
    LF_INTERVAL
    for usage instructions.

Perhaps post a sample entry from apache's error_log of an ip in your database generating a 403 status to see if its likely to be a candidate for the LF_APACHE_403 action.
    Anonymize the server ip and client ip.

cPanelMichael likes this.
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @GoWilkes,

Let us know if the information in the previous post helps.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...