The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Additional Accounts

Discussion in 'Security' started by mburgoon, Feb 7, 2012.

1. mburgoon

mburgoon Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm very new to cPanel WHM so please bear with me. I've attempted to find this answer in the forums but came up short.

Basically I'm looking for the "proper" way to add accounts for my employees so that they only have access to manage email accounts for our clients.

By default we have the main root WHM user, that has privileges to do anything to the server. I have been the only one using that account, basically to cut our client accounts and I've been going into their specific cPanel areas to create their requested email accounts (our clients prefer us to manage their email accounts for them).

I have a couple employees I would like to create accounts for. Really the only thing I want them to do is be able to access our client's cPanel account in order to add new email addresses. I do not really want to give these employees full root access to the server. Really just access the "List Accounts" page and then access the limited client cPanel area.

I went ahead and created mock reseller accounts for my employees. However in order to access the accounts I've previously cut (under the root user), they too have to have root (full access) privileges selected in the reseller settings. Is this the only way, that is all my employees must also have root access, or am I missing something?

Is there a way to "share" accounts amongst resellers? In other words, get the accounts I created to display under the "list accounts" section of my employees reseller account?

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm more than willing to change the way I'm doing things, really I just want to be secure as possible ... preferably without having to create multiple root accounts just to manage email for my clients. Thanks for any help!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There is a Feature Request you might be interested in signing onto that sounds a lot like what you seek:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/multiple-cpanel-logins-cpanel-subusers-case-44353-a-77145.html

In the meantime, if I understand you properly, you might want to try making that mock Reseller own the account you want him to have access to. He can't see it if he does not own it. You can easily switch owner of an account right from the List Accounts page logged in as root, click the Account Owner name column to see this option. Once set, logout and then back in as the Reseller you want to be able to see the account to check that this is what you want.

3. mburgoon

mburgoon Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK thanks, that's how I have it.

I'm assuming however I cannot have multiple "mock" re-seller accounts that can see each others accounts? For example I have three employees that all need their own log in, however all need to see the same accounts.

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I think that's probably going to be some sort of issue yes. If these are trusted employees giving them access to the cPanel account (not WHM) might be the answer.

5. mburgoon

mburgoon Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for all the help. I guess the last way I will rephrase this...

Can I make multiple WHM or Reseller or cPanel accounts that have access to the same cPanel account??

(my main concern is sharing accounts between employees. I have 3-4 employees that will all need to access the same cPanel accounts. right now i've resorted to distributing my 'root' WHM password to all 3 of my employees)

i.e:

WHM 1
    ----------
    Client A
    Client B

WHM 2
    ----------
    Client A
    Client B

OR

cPanel 1
    ----------
    Client A
    Client B

cPanel 2
    ----------
    Client A
    Client B

Again THANK YOU!

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Why though? You could create a Reseller, give that Reseller ownership of the accounts and give them that Reseller access. Or just give those 3-4 users access to the cPanel accounts.

Sharing root is a bad idea.

My apologies that I can't help more, lets hope someone comes by with an idea you can use.

7. rodrigoriveros

rodrigoriveros Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    +1million please! We need this issue.

8. aldux

aldux Member

Hi, I want to post this case:
    I have a customer, he access his account using cPanel. He need some subusers to manage the email accounts for each department in his company. The subusers will only be able to manage email accounts. Is that possible? Thanks.

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It's not, not right now. Have a look at the second post in this thread I made a few days ago.