Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Additional customization for backups

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by kwdamp, Feb 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kwdamp

kwdamp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I had two questions regarding Cpanel backups that I wanted to ask:

First, is there any way in Cpanel/WHM to exclude your previous retained backups from additional backups? I noticed that these files are included and it seems redundant and an unnecessary burden to deal with. I can't imagine anyone would want them included. I found documentation on how to exclude a file type from backups on the command line, but that's not really what I'm looking to do (or how).

Second, is there any way to continue daily backups, and then also have a weekly backup with different preferences? So, two sets of backups running independently. My ideal situation would be to backup the entire system including all databases weekly, but then backup our key accounts daily. Different retention periods would be an added bonus as well.

2. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Many of us have been pleading with cPanel to enhance the backup options, and all they do is take them away (vis removal of legacy options).

The possibility of scheduling different types of backups, for different sets of users, to different location, on different days has been discussed and requested so many times it has become a joke.

By all means look in the Feature Requests, and vote for whatever backup idea solves your particular problem, but most of us have been waiting months for some encouraging news, and we haven't got any yet, so don't be terribly surprised if your idea, or whatever you voted for, just fades into oblivion like all of ours seem to have !

3. kwdamp

kwdamp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the response. It seems so simple to update these to add a few features that would be really helpful; but I guess there's hundreds of things on their list.

4. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Of course you are correct. I am the first to jump to cPanel developers defence when deserved, but the argument surrounding the backup solution offered by cPanel (and we are talking about the fundamental ability to protect the data of ones clients here) has been woefully neglected for far too long.

As you quite correctly point out, it should be simple to code something that will allow multiple backups to be scheduled, each with their own criteria, so I am struggling to understand cPanels' reluctance to do anything about it. It almost looks like there is some hidden agenda to encourage users to purchase alternative solutions, although I fail to see how cPanel directly benefits from that.

kwdamp likes this.
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you provide an example of the type of files you want excluded? Are you referring to backups generated with the legacy backup feature? If you are referring to the retention settings, you can find documentation on how that works at:

Backup Configuration - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

You can configure different retention periods for daily and weekly backups as noted in the document linked above, however it's not possible to configure retention periods on a per-account basis at this time. There's a feature request open for this at:

Account Backup and retention schedules ( VIP Account )

Thank you.