Additional Destinations Backups and Restore UI Question

Apr 13, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I enabled remote backups in the WHM config to an SFTP resource.

Seems to be working, I have no error mail, the logs I have browsed seem to indicate nothing but success. But after two or three days, the UI stopped reflecting the status of the backups. They are not clickable

• The dates from last week are clickable, but this weeks are not.
  • On the sftp server the directories and files are there
  • The log files show success...
  • I am not keeping anything local (the local drive was filling up fast)
  • System backups go there.
  • In the destination tab, transfer System Backups to this Destination was checked this week (would this do it?)

Thoughts? What am I missing?

Thanks!

This all I found in the destination file in /var/cpanel/backups

Code:
authtype: password
disabled: 0
host: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
id: DOESITREALLYMATTER
name: REALLY
password: NEVERTELL
path: files/reclaim_backups
port: 22
timeout: 30
type: SFTP
upload_system_backup: 1
username: NOTTELLING

Apr 13, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Ty
Code:
To restore backups from these locations, users must transfer the backup file to their servers before they can restore the backups.
That makes sense, though I think it would be easy to do the reverse as well as the push, but the UI losing track of the backups in the calendar, not initially, but two or three days later is part of this? It (the docs) doesn't explicitly list that the UI would stop tracking them and there were backups over the weekend.

Is this possibly related to "Transfer System Backups to this Destination" setting?

(if I did retain local backups, it would just fill the HD eventually. Like that happened rapidly and we need to keep full backups)

Thanks

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
The documentation explicitly states the following:

To use this feature, you must enable account backups and the Retain Backups in the Default Backup Directory setting in WHM's Backup Configuration interface (WHM >> Home >> Backup >> Backup Configuration).
This feature will NOT be usable without this enabled. The backups can be stored elsewhere but they must be transferred back to the server in order to be restored.

Since you've got that setting disabled, the alternative is:
If you have disabled the Retain Backups in the Default Backup Directory setting, you can restore a remote backup through the Restore a Full Backup cpmove File interface (WHM >> Home >> Backup >> Restore a Full Backup/cpmove File).
but the UI losing track of the backups in the calendar, not initially, but two or three days later is part of this? It (the docs) doesn't explicitly list that the UI would stop tracking them and there were backups over the weekend.
If the backups aren't present in that directory as per the metadata the UI will not track them.