The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Additional IP addresses problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dalem, Apr 22, 2007.

1. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    the nameservers may be still alocated in your name server file

edit to suite

/etc/nameserverips

2. Lazaru5

Lazaru5 Registered

i have a managed server which came with 3 IP addresses, 2 of which were used for the initial 2 nameservers plus one was spare.

somehow i managed to delete one of the nameservers, total accident, but when i recreated it, it used the spare ip address and not the server address that it had originally been setup to use..

not really a problem, i regged both nameservers through my registrar and they work/resolve ok, and the server ip address works with a couple of other accounts that i have set up on the server using external nameservers.

my problems began when i asked for 2 additional ip's, i added them fine and they show up great in "show or delete current ip addresses" but in nameserver ip's i can add one for a nameserver but then get the error "Sorry, you are out of ips to assign as nameservers" even though i know i have one spare.

additionally, i tried to register the one nameserver i could setup but, 3 days later, still not set up, when i try to resolve the ip it gives me a different hostname altogether..

now question 1, when i requested the additional ip's i said that i wanted one for a nameserver and one for ssl, could that be why it wont allow me to run the other as a nameserver?

question 2, do i need to do anything like create a zonefile for the additional ip's? i ask because the additional nameserver i can create doesnt show up in "edit DNS zone"

any help much appreciated, thanks in advance

Laz

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Go into your "Tweak Settings" in WHM and check the following line:

"Allow Sharing Nameserver Ips"

With that option checkes, the DNS nameservers do NOT take up any IP addresses
    because the same IP addresses used for the nameservers are still available to setup
    web hosting accounts on your servers.

I generally make the first nameserver the same IP as the primary IP for shared accounts
    and the second nameserver the same IP as either the first dedicated IP account on the
    server or designate that IP as a secondary shared IP for a reseller.

4. Lazaru5

Lazaru5 Registered

I edited /etc/nameserverips to include the extra ip address which wasn't showing up, so now i have got a total of 4 nameservers. According to my registrar, (godaddy), they are all registered, NS1 was registered yesterday apparantly :S

however, any attempt to resolve them from their names, i.e. ns1.domain.com still returns as "unable to resolve", resolution from IP address returns them as being rd2.indyanow.com /rd3.indyanow.com (they wont resolve backwards, i.e. rd3.indyanow.com comes back as unable to resolve)

i'm kinda confused now, lol

i've changed the domain to point to these nameservers now, i'll just have to wait and see if it works..

5. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

I will take your word that you registered the DNS servers at Go Daddy but
    did you setup the DNS server addresses in the Zone File for you domain?

If not ...

You need to use the domain zone editor or login to your server by SSH as root
    and edit the file named /var/named/indyanow.com.db (or whatever domain name)

In that file, you would want to add resolution for your new nameservers:
    Code:
    rd2 IN A 111.111.111.111
    rd3 IN A 111.111.111.112

(Obviously, you would replace the IP numbers with the correct IP numbers
    and the same would apply for setting up DNS addresses at any domain)

Restart your DNS server either from WHM or:
    Code:
    service named restart

#5 Spiral, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  6. Lazaru5

Lazaru5 Registered

yeah, the indyanow addresses arent mine...

thats why i'm confused, lol

and no, i didnt create a zonefile for the nameservers, that was one of my original questions, do i need to create a zonefile for each nameserver?

the original 2 nameservers have one, as do all the domains, but not the new ones which makes me think i need to...

would just like some confirmation, before i do :P

7. Lazaru5

Lazaru5 Registered

and now the crazy part, i didnt create a zonefile yet..

but both nameservers now resolve to the correct ip's..

i'm assuming that i still need to create a zonefile for each as resolution of ip's still returns the indyanow addresses. am i right?