Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

additional root user and user id 0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by upsforum, May 23, 2012.

1. upsforum

upsforum Well-Known Member

I need additional root user, I added a user and set id 0 this on /ets/passwd, now I receive this alert from server:

IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    This message is to inform you that the account spcarvin has user id 0 (root privs).
    This could mean that your system was compromised (OwN3D). To be safe you should
    verify that your system has not been compromised.

how to i solve this problem? I can assign root privileges to secondary user root but without set id user 0?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Since you did not actually get hacked but purposely added the user, you do have the option to ignore the email.

Next, if you want a user to have root-like privileges, simply create a wheel group user that can sudo su - to root instead. Here's an example discussion on giving sudo rights to another user:

Quick HOWTO : Ch09 : Linux Users and Sudo - Linux Home Networking

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. upsforum

upsforum Well-Known Member

with 0:0 in /ets/passwd work fine but every day I need re-set the old password for this user because after 24 hours the login no longer work

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It would be preferable to create a wheel group user with sudo access. Did you check the link provided to try this type of user instead?