The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon domain as not authoritative

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by axel50397, May 8, 2016.

1. axel50397

axel50397 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi everyone,

I have a simple question, yet a little bit hard to explain: Is there a way to add an add-on domain, which is set as "not authoritative" ?

Let's take an example: My local DNS on my Cpanel is ns.domain1.com, and I have a CPanel account with a dummy.com domain on it. Now let's say I want to add the add-on domain domain2.com on the account of dummy.com, but the authoritative DNS of domain2.com is external, so NOT ns.domain1.com. Do we agree on that, with default zone setup, for the world, no problem querying www.domain2.com as long as I've configured an A or CNAME field on the external DNS? But for anything ON THE CPANEL, everything related to domain2.com will be located on the CPanel server, right?

Let's say it's clear and everybody understand. Now my question is: Is there a way to tell Cpanel that a zone in particular ISN'T located on local DNS, but instead on the authoritative one? Will it work if I set the SOA and/or NS fields as the authoritative DNS? Will it work with an empty zone (containing only SOA and NS) ?

Thank you for your help

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You would have to configure the external name server as a remote name server IP address via:

"WHM Home >> IP Functions >> Configure Remote Service IPs"

This is documented at:

Configure Remote Service IPs - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.