Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon domain became a Subdomain

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dstreet, Sep 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dstreet

dstreet Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Sorry to bother people here but my webhost customer service is horrible.

I have 1 main domain and 2 addon domains hosted by the same awful webhost. Recently they moved all 3 domains to a new server. Suddenly all my domains disappeared and were replaced with some kind of spammy parked domain page.

The main domain is registered with Godaddy, not my webhost, so I logged into my Godaddy account and pointed the DNS to the new server address. Eventually my main domain reappeared, but both my addon sites were offline, and completely missing in cPanel, as if they no longer existed or were hijacked by someone.

After a lot of complaining, my webhost somehow restored the 2 addons in cPanel, but now they are functioning like Subdomains to the main domain. eg: myaddonsite.net shows in my browsers as: myaddonsite.mymaindomain.com

I've been all over cPanel and see no way to fix this. But I have no idea what the problem is. The 2 addon domains are registered with my webhost, not Godaddy, if that matters at all.

I see other people complaining about root domain / addon domain issues and I hope someday cPanel is modified to make addons function completely independently of the root domain, because it's caused a number of problems for me, such as I wasn't able to link my addon domain pages to images or other files stored in the /public_html root domain directory, even with hotlink protection turned off.

I intend to move all my domains to a better host and registrar, but can't do that for some time to come. So for now I'm hoping there is a an easy fix without wasting more time with my webhost dummies. Please if anyone has advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Do you have any custom rewrite rules enabled in the .htaccess files under the account's home or public_html directory? If not, are you able to delete and re-add these domain names via the Addon Domains option in cPanel?

Thank you.

3. dstreet

dstreet Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello, No I have not personally altered any of my .htaccess files in any way. But for all I know, my webhost did when they restored the 2 addon domains. Also at one point I tried to redirect the 2 subdomains cPanel automatically creates whenever an addon domain is created, to the home pages of my addon sites. But got a browser message saying my website urls were a path that could never be resolved, or something similar. So I removed the redirects. But maybe that altered the files.

Here is the current basic public_html .htaccess header:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/[0-9]+\..+\.cpaneldcv$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/\.well-known/pki-validation/[A-F0-9]{32}\.txt(?:\ Comodo\ DCV)?$
    RewriteRule .*\.()$ - [F,NC]

As for deleting the addon domains, I'm afraid to try that. I may be wrong, but to me that sounds like a webhost server admin job, because each addon domain must be approved by my webhost, and connected to their billing service?

This is probably not a cPanel software bug, the problem is most likely a wrongly configured or malfunctioning server. Or maybe my webhost didn't properly install cPanel, or they completely screwed things up during the server migration of my websites.

Right now any time I create a new addon domain subfolder, ie; mysite.net/newfolder... and drop a simple html index document in it, type the url path in my browser, it still takes me to myaddondomain.mymaindomain.com/newfolder. If I manually correct the url path, my browsers usually recognize the proper url as well. But not always. Sometimes it just hangs and then I get a "no such address exists" message or whatever. And today the subfolder url suddenly redirected to: ww8.example.com. Looked like another spammy parked domain page. No idea why, and I think http.com is a Godaddy company website? It's a website not even affiliated with my web host as far as I know. Or maybe the new server is owned and operated by Godaddy?

Anyway, before I try to delete the addon domains, do you think I should be able to easily restore them in cPanel, as if I were creating 2 new addon sites? Because if I can't, my webhost will probably blame me for messing things up, and I'll have to waste all day bickering with their customer noservice department in India, who don't speak English very well. Grrrrr I can't wait to dump this crappy webhost forever!

#3 dstreet, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Typically, yes. However, it sounds like there might be some custom configurations enabled by your hosting provider. I recommend consulting with them to determine how to best approach the issue, or consider switching to a new provider if they are unable to help.

Thank you.