The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon Domain config limitations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dopefish, May 23, 2006.

1. dopefish

dopefish Registered

May 23, 2006
    Hi folks,

I just set up my primary domain with a new host who allows addon domains. Got it working and now I'm preparing to set up a second as an addon to the primary.

First I get the error that DNS must be configured before creating the addon. No problem for a brand-new domain, but what if I'm trying to transfer an *existing* domain to this account? Anyone who's transferred a domain between hosts knows you basically build a working mirror of the site on the new host, THEN switch DNS, right? You want to make sure there are no disruptions in availability.

Fine, I figure I can still upload my files, create databases, get the site working. But then I go to create my email addresses. No luck - CPanel will only let me create addresses for my primary domain since the addon hasn't been created yet. So basically, it seems like I have to switch DNS, *then* create all my necessary email addresses, forwarders etc, just hoping beyond hope that no one sends me email between the time of the DNS switch and the time I get the addresses created? CPanel frustrates me enough by not providing a way to batch-create addresses or forwarders. Combined with these addon domain limitations it's a recipe for lost email!

Please tell me I'm missing something and transferring an existing domain to an addon domain isn't really so cumbersome!

Thanks! (CPanel 10.8.2-EDGE 14)