Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Addon domain document root at HOME/addondomain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pthirose, May 4, 2012.

1. pthirose

pthirose Member

Running: WHM 11.30.6 (build 6) REDHAT Enterprise 5.8 x86_64 vmware.

I don't think it can be done, but I wanted to verify
    Primary account meow with domain meow.com, home directory /home/meow/ with DocumentRoot at /home/meow/public_html

Click Addon Domains
    New Domain Name: woof.com
    Subdomain/FTP Username: woof
    Document Root: woof
    Password ...
    Password again ...

This creates the DocumentRoot of woof.com at /home/meow/public_html/woof/ instead of /home/meow/woof/

The "Home" icon between "Document Root:" and the text-box you type in, to me, implies the home-directory. Not home-directory/public_html. Furthermore, the default is public_html/woof.com. Erasing the "public_html/" part implies it should be homedirectory/woof.com. Doing so, clicking "Add Domain" though still ends up creating "Home Icon"/public_html/woof as DocumentRoot.

Furthermore, this directory structure allows http://meow.com/woof/index.html. Yes, I could put a .htaccess inside /home/meow/public_html/woof/ to RewriteCond/RewriteRule to make sure it's only accessed via woof.com and not meow.com/woof/. But I'd rather not have to do that.

It's also just a personal preference for organizing stuff. The completely unrelated stuff for woof.com I just don't want "inside" the meow.com directory. It makes find ~/public_html/ or grep -r ~/public_html/ stuff very annoying to do without exclude parameters and not everything I do works well with exclude parameters. It'd just be tons easier if the addon domain documentroot wasn't inside the primary domain's documentroot.

If indeed it cannot be done, I guess I'll put in a low-priority FR for this. There's way more important FR's I'm waiting for, unless this is an easy thing to do as shortest-FR-first :)

Thank you,
    PH