The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon Domain FTP Account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kudzu, Jan 18, 2009.

1. kudzu

kudzu Registered

Jan 18, 2009
    cPanel obviously did exactly what I told it to do, instead of what I wanted it to do! Hopefully, that bug will be fixed in the next version. :D

After creating an addon domain, I noticed that a file, .ftpquota, had appeared in the root directory of the addon domain but there was no similar file in the root of the primary domain to which I obviously had FTP access. I was told that the file in the addon domain was for tracking FTP access by the username created with the addon domain. Based on that, and since I am the only user, I thought that file would be unnecessary and things would just be cleaner if I deleted that FTP account and accessed the addon domain by creating a separate login in my FTP client logging into the primary domain and specifying that it start in the addon domain/subdirectory. So, I deleted FTP account for the addon domain choosing "Yes & Remove All Files in DIRECTORY_PATH." The addon domain/subdirectory disappeared from the public_html directory.

What happened, probably shouldn't surprise me, but I don't really understand, and understanding what was going on was the real purpose of the exercise - curiosity killed the cat. Confusing me further, is the fact that the addon domain is still shown under Domains - Addon Domains in cPanel, but not in public_html either in cPanel or when I log in with FTP.

Having read the cPanel documentation, I am still fuzzy on what happened. If I recreated the same addon domain again and deleted the FTP user account created in the process, but did not elect to "Remove All Files...," would that accomplish what I was trying to do? Any explanation would be appreciated.