Addon domain in the home/$user directory: Should I move it and how?

Operating System & Version
Linux
cPanel & WHM Version
78.0 (build 27)

bluepygmyink

Registered
Mar 22, 2020
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have a add-on site that is in the home/$user account that was having some problems (slow). The site is built with WordPress and hosted at GoDaddy on a Linux/cPanel account. When I called the GD tech support to ask why it might be sluggish, the tech guy said it was because it was not in the public_html folder.

I am not sure that is true.

Should I move it and how?

I tried a couple of ways but it didn't work out well.

1: I manually tried creating a folder in the public_html folder, copied the files over, disabled the plugins etc, added to "public_html" to where it was needed, made the change at "Modify Addon Domain" but I nothing but problems with errors and missing pages and on and on. It seems the server would just stop copying files files or wouldn't pack everything and on and on... I just gave up on that approach.

2: I created a sub-domain (in the public_html directory) and cloned (via Installatron) the files into that directory and then modified where it pointed in "Modify Addon Domain" but I ended up with showing the subdomain name in the url when I went to the website. No problems with the files using that approach but the subdomain shows up in the url.

I think the server is just on the wimpy side myself.

Should I even bother trying to move it in the public_html directory?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
The location of the domain wouldn't be related to why it's slow. It's most commonly a result of misbehaving plugins or errors. In some cases it could be the server as well. If you're running it on a shared server this could be a result of the server's resources being strained. Sites like Why is my page slow? could give you some insight into where the holdup is and how to improve it.

bluepygmyink

Registered
Mar 22, 2020
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks. My assumption was the server was under powered and the site location had nothing to do with it being slow.
Thank you for for the links.

Now my only curiosity is if I wanted to move it to public_html for organizational reasons, how I could go about it since my attempts have not gone well.

Thanks again.