The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon domain problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Registered, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Registered

Registered Member

I am getting the following error when I try and addon a domain :

The subdomain, mydomain.com.myhostname.com has been added.

Nameserver ips for mydomain.com are: xx.xxx.xx.xx Sorry, that domain (mydomain.com) is already pointed at an ip address that does not appear to use dns servers on this server or master servers! Please transfer the domain to this server's nameservers or have your admin add one of its nameservers ips to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver!

The subdomain, mydomain.com.myhostname.com has been removed.

mydomain.com could not be setup. The subdomain mydomain.com.myhostname.com was not setup either.

Where xx.xxx.xx.xx in the above statment DOES EQUAL the IP Address of my nameserver!!

I would udnerstand the error if xx.xxx.xx.xx DIDN'T equal the IP address of the nameserver - BUT IT DOES.

Any suggestions?? What do I do??
    :eek:

#1 Registered, Aug 28, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  2. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My first thought would be to add one of its nameservers ips to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

3. Registered

Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I am totally new to this, and unfortunetly don't understand what you are talking about :)

The latest is now is that <mydomain>.com is resolving to this new server as I am now getting a cPanel branded "There is no website configured at this address.". My last host wasn't using cPanel so I know it is now resolving to my new nameservers.

Why oh why can't I addon domain?

What I have done is using WHM -> DNS Functions -> Add a DNS Zone -> and added it to <myhostname.com> using the IP address of the nameserver (which is the same IP address as <myhostname.com>"

Then when I go in to Addon domains in cPanel I still get the above error :(

4. WestBend

WestBend Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. The following worked for me.

check for any domain files

Code:
    grep domainname /var/named/*

Check for the domain in any of the following files and remove occurances
    Code:

more /usr/local/cpanel/etc/commondomains | grep domainname
    more /var/cpanel/phpopendomains | grep domainname
    more /etc/localdomains | grep domainname
    more /etc/localdomains.eximreset | grep domainname
    more /etc/userdomains | grep domainname
    more /etc/trueuserdomains | grep domainname
    more /etc/localdomains.rpmnew | grep domainname
    more /etc/localdomains,v | grep domainname
    more /etc/localdomains.tmp | grep domainname
    If your using a stealth dns remove the DNS entry from the visible nameservers. Wait 24 hours. try adding again.

I use Stealth so the above commands are on my stealth DNS server. I removed the entry from the main dns servers and checked they are gone using www.dnsreport.com but that the domain is pointed at dns1 and dns2. Then i added the addon again without issue and then created the zone on dns1/dns2 and all fixed itself.

5. bashprompt18

bashprompt18 Active Member

I am having a problem close to this, but my customer DOES have his domain in another dns server, he would like to set it up first and make sure it works because his site uses a lot of perl scripts and he needs to make sure they work and not have any down time.. Anyone have any clue as to how to get around this? I tried adding a dns zone to trick it and that doesn't work. This customer is fusterated because he has to be able to do this and well I understand and don't blame him.

-John

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

There is an option in WHM Tweak Settings called "Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers (ie domain transfers) [This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure to not allow users to park common internet domains.] ". Check this option and then remove the check after you've added the domain.