The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon Domain problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbo, Dec 12, 2004.

1. jbo

jbo Registered

Greetings,

I have a server that uses WHM and cPanel on a Fedora based system. I'm used to command prompts and am pretty new to this, but normally I'm pretty good at figuring out what is going on. Right now, however, I am having this problem that I cannot even figure out where to look for a solution for.

When cPanel users try to add addon domains to their accounts, everything appears to work. The subdomain gets created, the folder gets created, ftp account gets created, etc. The problem is, no DNS zone file gets made and the only apache entry added is for the subdomain. cPanel doesn't give any errors and I cannot find any in my normal log files.

Everything that has to be done beforehand is setup fine. The users have addon domains available, the domains they try to add are pointing to my DNS and like I said it says it works, it just doesnt.

Any ideas? Did I somehow turn off something in WHM and not realize it?

Jim

2. puzz1ed1

puzz1ed1 Active Member

are you running the latest version? There were some major bugs with addon and parked domains recently, but these are all now fixed afaik

3. WKMahler

WKMahler Member

i had been creating a subdomain first, literally with the subdomain feature.

www.subdomain.domain.com

then i'd go over to addon domain, add the actual domain i wanted to point, park and sit over the subdomain so that the surfer would only see domain.com, not the subdomain.domain.com

so if i am correct here, in theory, i ought not had created the subdomain at all and then worked with the addon for addon would have made the subdomain automatically for me?

if so, then that is one part of the addon feature that clearly doesn't state that.

also, when looking at the cpanel documetation regarding addons,

it appears that all addon does is sit over this:

domain.com/page.htm

instead of this.

subdomain.domain.com

as it is stated in the addon function of cpanel, it should make domain.com sit over subdomain.domain.com without anyone fully seeing or seeing at all the domain is but "masking" a subdomain.

also, by parking a domain, i've found that a domain will have email mx entries so that

@thisdomain.com will be what is seen in all headers but the servers will remain

mail.thatdomain.com in the headers or at least in the respective mail client.

and that, thus is good.

however, in parking a domain, what i find is that there is no unique control to determine where a registered domain can be placed within an entire domain.

as of now, a parked domain only points to for example

thisdomain.com is parked to point to thatdomain.com

the addon and parked domain function is fine and dandy, i understand the difference between the two.

but in essence, parking a domain is pointing a domain much like addon domain too.

so if i am to choose park a domain, considering that it will be set up so mail can be @thisdomain.com using mail.thatdomain.com servers,

i ought to be able to pick the area where the park domain aka pointed domain is going to go anywhere in the domain, specifically to a subdomain. the "addon" feature.

me, program? ya, only a song playlist! :)

william