Addon domain problems HELP! please

LaaTINO

Registered
Aug 12, 2008
Hi,
I've set up a server and I've assigned my two nameservers:
ns1.mydomain.com
ns2.mydomain.com

They work fine, I can access all domains that are added through WHM, however when trying to add an addon domain (yes the nameservers are correct, I can add the domain to WHM and it resolves) to cpanel it gives me the following error:

Error from park wrapper: Sorry, cannot determine nameserver IPs. Please make sure that the domain is registered with a valid domain registrar.
I've had a addon domain pointing to a folder on my server, but then I deleted the addon domain from cpanel to change the path so i could point to another folder.. and that's where the error comes, one of my clients is having the same problem so please help me solve this :eek:

thanks

grayloon

Oct 31, 2007
Evansville, IN
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I'm using my ISP's name servers (ns.rackspace.com + ns2.rackspace.com) in WHM > Server Configuration > Basic cPanel/WHM Setup. When I try to add a parked domain, I get the following:
Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: 69.20.95.4,65.61.188.4 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.
The IP's in the error message correspond to my name servers. What am I doing wrong here?

DaveUsedToWorkHere

Dec 28, 2001
You need to make sure that the domain you are trying to add as an addon domain has those nameservers listed with the domain's registrar (Register.com, GoDaddy, etc)

DaveUsedToWorkHere

Dec 28, 2001
You'll want to turn this option on in Tweak Settings in WHM:

Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers (i.e. domain transfers) [This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure to not allow users to park common internet domains.]

Are the external nameservers running cPanel or cPanel DNS Only?

grayloon

Oct 31, 2007
Evansville, IN
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
The external name servers belong to Rackspace. I have no idea what they're running. Also, we manage everything ourselves through cPanel - we don't allow clients/customers to get in. Is there somewhere I can edit a config file to make this change instead of using the Tweak Settings? Seems like last time I used Tweak Settings, it overwrote some config files or something.

Last edited:

DaveUsedToWorkHere

Dec 28, 2001
I'm just wondering about DNS zone synchronization but I'm not familiar with the specific system them are using so I won't be able to provide any useful insight, just speculations.

grayloon

Oct 31, 2007
Evansville, IN
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Whois for finsfishing.com:
Domain servers in listed order:
NS.RACKSPACE.COM
NS2.RACKSPACE.COM
DNS lookup:
; <<>> DiG 9.3.5-P1 <<>> finsfishing.com ns
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41103
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;finsfishing.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
finsfishing.com. 172800 IN NS ns.rackspace.com.
finsfishing.com. 172800 IN NS ns2.rackspace.com.

;; Query time: 87 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Aug 18 09:58:56 2008
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 78
Is there somewhere I can edit a config file to make this change instead of using the Tweak Settings? Seems like last time I used Tweak Settings, it overwrote some config files or something.

DaveUsedToWorkHere

Dec 28, 2001
Is there somewhere I can edit a config file to make this change instead of using the Tweak Settings? Seems like last time I used Tweak Settings, it overwrote some config files or something.
Tweak Settings simply updates /var/cpanel/cpanel.config. The specific entry for this is:

allowremotedomains=1

thnetwrx

Registered
Oct 7, 2007
where is sample of /etc/ips.remotedns?

You need to make sure that the domain you are trying to add as an addon domain has those nameservers listed with the domain's registrar (Register.com, GoDaddy, etc)

I have root access to server, some sites use eNom's name servers, I encourage customers to register at my eNom reseller site, & cPanel does not allow them to park or addon domains using other name servers; which requires customer to contact me to park or addon for them, since my master whm permits me to park & addon these types of domains: error msg says

Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: 98.124.192.1,63.251.92.200,70.42.37.7,216.52.184.248,69.64.145.225 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

I have option in WHM Tweak Settings
called "Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers (ie domain transfers) [This can be a major security problem. ]
turned off, so, I need to know what the file is /etc/ips.remotedns since, I find no such file on my server. Is it just a text file with each IP on one line, or what??

Thanks,
administator

DaveUsedToWorkHere

Dec 28, 2001
I have option in WHM Tweak Settings turned off, so, I need to know what the file is /etc/ips.remotedns since, I find no such file on my server. Is it just a text file with each IP on one line, or what??

Thanks,
administator

Yes, 1 IP per line. It will not exist until created.