Addon domain says already exists when it doesn't

fog

Jun 22, 2002
I have checked over and over and there is no dns entry for the domain or anything, When I try to add it it says it's in use by another user. How do I resolve this?

Phiber_Optick

Jun 17, 2003
Florida
In your WHM, in "Tweak Setting". Do you have a check in "Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers (ie domain transfers) [This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure to not allow users to park common internet domains.]" or "Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that are not registered"?

If you do not, and this domain is not currently pointing at your cpanel server, then it will not let you. If you check those, then you are able to add domains to cpanel that either are not registered or have their domain pointing to other name servers.

fog

Jun 22, 2002
I do have that checked. I just did a locate domain.com from shell and I can see several mentions of the domain althought it isn't in the cpanel of the path it is mentioned in nor does it have a dns zone. How do I clean it out so I can add it.

I am assuming that since this account was moved from another machine using the whm tool some mentions of the domain remained though it was removed before the move.

Solokron

Aug 8, 2003
Seattle
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Did you find a resolution to this?

kris1351

Apr 18, 2003
Lewisville, Tx
When users delete a domain in Cpanel it leaves the .db files in the secondary/tertiary nameservers. You have to manually remove these in the nameservers then /scripts/dnstransfer to clear it out.

Does dig show the domain on your servers locally?

Solokron

Aug 8, 2003
Seattle
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Very nice! This is exactly what I have been looking for all day.

Thank you kris!

Originally posted by kris1351
When users delete a domain in Cpanel it leaves the .db files in the secondary/tertiary nameservers. You have to manually remove these in the nameservers then /scripts/dnstransfer to clear it out.

Does dig show the domain on your servers locally?

Solokron

Aug 8, 2003
Seattle
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hmmmm email to this domain is bouncing...

550-not permitted to relay through this server

Solokron

Aug 8, 2003
Seattle
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
/scripts/fixpop

Cannot find the owner of x.com, try rebuilding /etc/userdomains first with /scripts/rebuilduserdomains at /scripts/fixpop line 26.

rebuilduserdomains does not exist.

Running rebuildparkeddomains...

/scripts/rebuildparkeddomains
panic: end_shift at /scripts/rebuildparkeddomains line 19.

Solokron

Aug 8, 2003
Seattle
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Corrected with /etc/named.conf entries

Solokron

Aug 8, 2003
Seattle
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
AND ran Rebuilding Mail Databases and Fixing Permissions from WHM. :)

Originally posted by Solokron
Corrected with /etc/named.conf entries