The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon Domain -> Standalone Account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by `Square, Jul 9, 2010.

1. `Square

`Square Registered

Hey guys, I know this has been answered numerous times but there isn't a step by step guide.

I have an addon domain under a resellers cPanel account and he wants to move it to a standalone account under him as a reseller.

I know I can copy the dns zone/drop the addon domain and move files across but what about email addresses and accounts with passwords?

If I copy the /home/user/mail/domain.tld to the new place will it also take the email accounts and they'll show under the new cPanel account with the correct password as before?

I can't believe there isn't a script for this.

any help would be appreicated.

Thanks,

Michael

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Yes, once you backup the addon domain website files/databases, make a copy of the following directories

Now, remove the addon domain, create a separate account for the add-on domain, restore the website files/databases. Once done, remove the default mail related directories of the new domain

and restore the previous backed up directories with these new names. For example:

this will restore the email accounts and their passwords of the add-on domain on the newly created domain.

3. `Square

`Square Registered

Thanks for your reply.

Few more questions;

How can i backup the dns zone file? They have a few modifications and I don't want to lose them.

Also I'm the root owner of the vps and he is a reseller, how can i create the account but have him as the owner of it without the resellers password?

Thanks,

Michael

4. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

make a copy of the zone file

Once the account is re-created, overwrite the new zone file with the old one

and restart the named service

Regarding the ownership, once the account is created from WHM as root, goto the "List Accounts" option. Search the new domain, scroll to the extreme right and you will see a "Owner" column from where you can change the ownership of the domain from "root" to the reseller user and he will be able to manage it from his Reseller WHM.