The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon Domains and Migrations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bjdea1, Aug 23, 2005.

1. bjdea1

bjdea1 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I've been using cPanel now on my servers for quite sometime and have much praise to give the coders behind cPanel. Its obviously a very complex and large software challenge and you guys do a good job.

After many years of using cPanel I'd really like to give some feedback about the most common areas that cause some frustrations (extra workload) for us hosts.

1) Account Migrations and Addon Domains :- Its been my experience that migrating accounts with "Addon Domains" brings little joy. I have had it work one time that I can remember but a lot of the time Addon Domains don't seem to migrate well. This is one of the main areas that causes extra workload for us. Having to reconstruct Addon Domains in Accounts that have got screwed up or gone missing after a migration.

2) Shell Access :- this is not a code problem just a user friendly problem. Having the Manage Shell Access section only let you update one account at a time is not exactly speedy. It would be so much easier if you guys just had radio buttons for each account listed on the page "disable", "jail" or "bash". This is especially important when you suspect some security problem on the server. It takes a lot of time to disable all the shells as its currently setup, with a radio button layout you could disable all shells in one go - much quicker.

3) Backups :- could you add a load senstive feature in backups? Something that sets a load level that temporarily stops backups. This is to ensure that backups don't overload a server when running. I have written my own remote backup script that does this - its stores the last account backed up on a file and when the load goes low again it resumes from where it left off. Its check server load before attempting each backup and decides whether to continue of wait. Something like this would be great in cPanel

4) Setting Up A New Server: - after experiencing a few OS Reloads etc I've come to get used to the setup process. But one thing always makes me wonder "why hasn't someone fixed this yet?". that is the rndc thing. Why is it there at all? Can't it be automatically fixed during installation rather than needing the user to fix it everytime?

These are the only ones that stand out to me now. The rest of cPanel is great and cPanel as a whole is really a great piece of work and you guys deserve recognition for it. So I'm not trying to dump negativity on you - but a little work here would make life simpler - esp the Addon Domain Migration thing - I've grown to dislike Addon Domains :).

#1 bjdea1, Aug 23, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you have suggestions for enhancements and want to bring them to cPanel's attention you really do need to log entries in bugzilla for them otherwise cPanel will most likely not see them here:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=38350