The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon domains are for . . .?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webignition, Feb 24, 2005.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Sorry for the newbie sounding question, but I just want to check up on something.

My customer has and has recently transferred over and wants to have pointing to the equivalent of, specifically /home/user/public_html/sub/dir/here. I've added a DNS zone for in WHM and this domain is working fine as far as mail is concerned.

I've relatively recently taken over management of a dedicated server and am dealing with this type of request for the first time.

From what I've read, this is what the addon domain feature is for. Is this correct?

My customer was having problems doing this and so when trying myself I encountered numerous interesting errors when trying to add an addon domain in cpanel. I'll come back to these errors later if they are relevant as for now I'd just like to check that I'm doing things correctly.

Can someone just confirm, based on where should point as described above, what details I should enter when adding a new addon domain.

For "Domain name", I've quite wisely entered "".
    For "Username/directory/subdomain Name:", I've tried many things, such as:

All of which generate errors.

All I'd really like to check right now is that the addon domains feature in cpanel should do this and what, out of the above paths, I should enter.

As long as I know I'm entering the correct details, I can happily work through the errors until I get it resolved (no pun intended!). However without knowing whether I'm entering the correct details, I don't know if the errors are due to me entering something incorrectly or due to something else being at fauilt.

For now I've manually modified httpd.conf so that points to the correct place, however I'd certainly prefer it if customers can manage things through cpanel correctly!