The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon Domains Not Wo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FDrive, Aug 1, 2002.

1. FDrive

FDrive Registered

Whenever a user adds an Addon Domain, this error comes up:

Sorry, that domain (domain.com) is already in use!

Even if the domain is not in use. Any thoughts?

[EDIT]

I found a thread that said it will not add any domain that already resolves to an IP address. That's kind of problematic... almost all new domains will resolve to an IP address -- like pointing to the registrar's default page. It will also not work for people transferring their domain from another server... ugh.

[/EDIT]

2. IT Hosting

IT Hosting Member

I think that means the domain is in use one your server. In the WHM bar go down to Delete A Zone and if the domain exsists delete it.

3. rinty

rinty Well-Known Member

Yes.. we have discovered that as well FDrive.....

4. FDrive

FDrive Registered

[quote:df5ac5a513][i:df5ac5a513]Originally posted by IT Hosting[/i:df5ac5a513]

I think that means the domain is in use one your server. In the WHM bar go down to Delete A Zone and if the domain exsists delete it.[/quote:df5ac5a513]

Nope, I think that's incorrect. It gives the error message if the domain resolves to an IP address. Try adding google.com or yahoo.com and you'll see what I mean.

5. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

You will not be able to add the domain until the DNS resolves to your IP address. I beleive this is a security feature.

6. FDrive

FDrive Registered

[quote:9534c1e4d0][i:9534c1e4d0]Originally posted by awsol[/i:9534c1e4d0]

You will not be able to add the domain until the DNS resolves to your IP address. I beleive this is a security feature. [/quote:9534c1e4d0]

I don't understand why that's a security feature, though. What's the worst that could happen? A few unneeded DNS Zones?

7. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

Or how about e-mail routed to domains in the localdomains file that aren't actually on the server. Someone could add popular mail domains and grab all the e-mails going to those domains.

8. Curious Too

Curious Too Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    [quote:bd5d54d4f0][i:bd5d54d4f0]Originally posted by JustinK[/i:bd5d54d4f0]

Or how about e-mail routed to domains in the localdomains file that aren't actually on the server. Someone could add popular mail domains and grab all the e-mails going to those domains.[/quote:bd5d54d4f0]

How could email be routed to a domain not on the server if the nameservers on the domain record for that domain are not pointing to your nameservers?

9. FDrive

FDrive Registered

[quote:e0e24052d3][i:e0e24052d3]Originally posted by Curious Too[/i:e0e24052d3]

How could email be routed to a domain not on the server if the nameservers on the domain record for that domain are not pointing to your nameservers? [/quote:e0e24052d3]

My thoughts exactly

10. jumpdomain

jumpdomain Well-Known Member

We are having the exact same problems with the add-on domains and the parked domains feature...

If the server is NOT running a DNS server (i.e. using another server as the master DNS server and another separate server for the slave) the &Sorry, that domain (domain.com) is already in use!& error happens no matter what you do.

However, if the server DOES run DNS then it works fine...

Is this feature not coded yet to work with master name server setups or are these security features keeping it from working since there is no DNS server running on the server?

11. Brad

Brad Well-Known Member

I've also seen a problem with this feature, when it fails like you have given examples of, it never deletes the subdomains it creates in the process. So, you have to go into the subdomains screen and delete the failed addon ..

12. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:c77c397435][i:c77c397435]Originally posted by FDrive[/i:c77c397435]

[quote:c77c397435][i:c77c397435]Originally posted by IT Hosting[/i:c77c397435]

I think that means the domain is in use one your server. In the WHM bar go down to Delete A Zone and if the domain exsists delete it.[/quote:c77c397435]

Nope, I think that's incorrect. It gives the error message if the domain resolves to an IP address. Try adding google.com or yahoo.com and you'll see what I mean.[/quote:c77c397435]

Right .. the idea is to prevent people from parking things like redhat.com cpanel.net etc to prevent you from getting security updates etc.

13. NetEndeavors

NetEndeavors Member

Why it happens!!!!

Guys/Gals,

I had this problem too. Turns out the problem was that I had wildcarded-domains turned on in my own DNS Zone.

If you SSH to your machine and try to ping newdomain.com that you're trying to add with the feature, and you have wildcarded domains turned on, you'll find that newdomain.com resolves to newdomain.com.yourdomain.com.

Thus the addon feature does not allow you to add the domain -- because it already resolves.....

Temporary solution is to turn wildcarded domains off on your own domain. Longer term, I think this is a case that the CPanel developers haven't provided for and they'll need to rethink this......

14. Curious Too

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    [quote:a624bb83f6][i:a624bb83f6]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:a624bb83f6]

[quote:a624bb83f6][i:a624bb83f6]Originally posted by FDrive[/i:a624bb83f6]

[quote:a624bb83f6][i:a624bb83f6]Originally posted by IT Hosting[/i:a624bb83f6]

I think that means the domain is in use one your server. In the WHM bar go down to Delete A Zone and if the domain exsists delete it.[/quote:a624bb83f6]

Nope, I think that's incorrect. It gives the error message if the domain resolves to an IP address. Try adding google.com or yahoo.com and you'll see what I mean.[/quote:a624bb83f6]

Right .. the idea is to prevent people from parking things like redhat.com cpanel.net etc to prevent you from getting security updates etc.[/quote:a624bb83f6]

How does someone parking a domain that doesn't point to your nameservers prevent you from getting security updates?

15. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

[quote:ccdd830f06][i:ccdd830f06]Originally posted by Curious Too[/i:ccdd830f06]

[quote:ccdd830f06][i:ccdd830f06]Originally posted by JustinK[/i:ccdd830f06]

Or how about e-mail routed to domains in the localdomains file that aren't actually on the server. Someone could add popular mail domains and grab all the e-mails going to those domains.[/quote:ccdd830f06]

How could email be routed to a domain not on the server if the nameservers on the domain record for that domain are not pointing to your nameservers? [/quote:ccdd830f06]

Funny thing about exim, it doesn't look at dns first, it looks at the localdomains file. If it finds a domain in the localdomains file, then it routes it internally. Someone adds a popular domain, it gets added to the localdomains file, and presto, they get all the mail for that domain.

16. Curious Too

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    [quote:c7383ecf49][i:c7383ecf49]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:c7383ecf49]

[quote:c7383ecf49][i:c7383ecf49]Originally posted by FDrive[/i:c7383ecf49]

[quote:c7383ecf49][i:c7383ecf49]Originally posted by IT Hosting[/i:c7383ecf49]

I think that means the domain is in use one your server. In the WHM bar go down to Delete A Zone and if the domain exsists delete it.[/quote:c7383ecf49]

Nope, I think that's incorrect. It gives the error message if the domain resolves to an IP address. Try adding google.com or yahoo.com and you'll see what I mean.[/quote:c7383ecf49]

Right .. the idea is to prevent people from parking things like redhat.com cpanel.net etc to prevent you from getting security updates etc.[/quote:c7383ecf49]

I understand the security precautions put in place -- the problem is something that was supposed to be advantageous is generating numerous support tickets. If the threat of someone trying to point Yahoo.com to their domain is that real, why not setup the script so that it sends a notification email to the server admin when an Add On domain is added? That way if someone adds a domain improperly it could be deleted right away. Or put a disclaimer in the Add On Domain Maintenance screen that let's customers know that they can only setup newly registered domains -- existing domains will have to be setup manually by tech support.

17. twhosts

twhosts Registered

[quote:8e9cefc1f6][i:8e9cefc1f6]Originally posted by NetEndeavors[/i:8e9cefc1f6]
    Temporary solution is to turn wildcarded domains off on your own domain. Longer term, I think this is a case that the CPanel developers haven't provided for and they'll need to rethink this......[/quote:8e9cefc1f6]

I have tried this, but parked or addon domains can still not be added. Anyone else know what could be causing this? I unparked a domain in whm, and immediately tried to park it again in CPanel, to no avail :(

Regards,

Craig Luke.

18. NetEndeavors

NetEndeavors Member

[quote:eed6299f77][i:eed6299f77]Originally posted by twhosts[/i:eed6299f77]

[quote:eed6299f77][i:eed6299f77]Originally posted by NetEndeavors[/i:eed6299f77]
    Temporary solution is to turn wildcarded domains off on your own domain. Longer term, I think this is a case that the CPanel developers haven't provided for and they'll need to rethink this......[/quote:eed6299f77]

I have tried this, but parked or addon domains can still not be added. Anyone else know what could be causing this? I unparked a domain in whm, and immediately tried to park it again in CPanel, to no avail :(

Regards,

Craig Luke.[/quote:eed6299f77]

Did you make sure that you modified the account in WHM to give it a value of addon and/or parked domains greater than 0 -- if you haven't given the account access to the feature in WHM, you wont be able to addon or park in CPanel...

19. Curious Too

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    [quote:b9a5b09211][i:b9a5b09211]Originally posted by twhosts[/i:b9a5b09211]

[quote:b9a5b09211][i:b9a5b09211]Originally posted by NetEndeavors[/i:b9a5b09211]
    Temporary solution is to turn wildcarded domains off on your own domain. Longer term, I think this is a case that the CPanel developers haven't provided for and they'll need to rethink this......[/quote:b9a5b09211]

Regards,

Craig Luke.[/quote:b9a5b09211]

Delete the zone file and reload your nameserver. Make sure the zone file is deleted from both the master and slave server.

20. flexibert1

flexibert1 Member

[quote:645d9b29b2][i:645d9b29b2]Originally posted by jumpdomain[/i:645d9b29b2]

We are having the exact same problems with the add-on domains and the parked domains feature...

If the server is NOT running a DNS server (i.e. using another server as the master DNS server and another separate server for the slave) the &Sorry, that domain (domain.com) is already in use!& error happens no matter what you do.

However, if the server DOES run DNS then it works fine...

Is this feature not coded yet to work with master name server setups or are these security features keeping it from working since there is no DNS server running on the server?
    [/quote:645d9b29b2]

On my box i have NAMED running..but i still get those nasty errors...pls advise...tank u