The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon Domains Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by java_dude, Dec 8, 2007.

1. java_dude

java_dude Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey, quick question. Awhile back before I upgraded to cPanel 11 I created an addon domain (myaddon.com) for a subdomain (subdomain.domain.com) and it worked fine. I have about 4 or 5 subdomains on my one account, and I recently bought a couple of domains for a different subdomain (subdomain2.domain.com), but I can't seem to get the addon domain function to work correctly. I enter in all of the information it asks for: the new domain, the subdomain's ftp username and password, and the directory for the subdomain. I keep getting this error:

Why would it say the subdomain already exists, if I'm trying to add an addon domain TO a subdomain? Or am I doing this wrong? :eek:

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Well, you cant add an addon domain to a sub domain. Any add on domain needs to be added to your root domain.

An addon domain will reside in a web document directory and appear just like a sub domain directory.

an addon domain will resolve as a TLD such as www.addon.com where a sub domain will resolve as sub.domain.com

You can however add a sub domain to an addon domain.

jay

3. java_dude

java_dude Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Oh, I think I get it now. So really, I should remove the subdomain (let's say it was blog.domain.com), and then add an addon domain to my account and point it to a "blog" directory. It would create both a "blog" subdomain, and allow me to access the directory via the domain, like blogdomain.com?:cool:

One other thing... would it be possible to park a domain over an addon domain? So say I had the .net domain too, could I have it redirect to blogdomain.com? It looks like you can only park a domain over your root domain...

Thanks a lot!