The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon domains without using subdomains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erlendm, Jan 18, 2005.

1. erlendm

erlendm Registered

Question 1:
    Let's say I have domain1.com and I want to set up domain2.com as an addon domain, but without making it point to a subdomain at domain1.com. How can I do that?

I don't want my domains/sites to get mixed up together, but in some special cases typing in domain2.com/somedirectory/ makes subdomain.domain1.com/somedirectory/ visible in the addressbar.

Question 2:
    How can I make a subdomain.domain.com which will not also be located at domain.com/subdomain, but rather in a "separate" directory closer to the root or something like that? I could do this at my previous webhost using a different control panel.

Hope you can help.

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

For question one every time you create an add-on domain Cpanel creates a sub-domain for that site. It is just how it works and you cannot change that. It should work as www.domain.com for accessing the add-on domain, it should not redirect you to the subdomain.domain.com. There is something wrong in the httpd.conf if that is happening.

For question two you can't change that. You only get one public_html with a Cpanel account and all addon/subdomains will be put under the public_html for the single site.