The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

addon ftp accounts have wrong passwords

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vital, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Vital

Vital Active Member

Greetings! Tried to search for similar threads, but found only unresolved problems... To the subject: does anyone know, why CPanel on RH 8 does this:

root@server [~]# cat /etc/proftpd/testuser
    test1:21LmRfhOg4kK6:32063:775:testuser:/home/testuser/public_html/test1:/bin/ftpsh
    test2:69HYG2j4cP6wA:32063:775:testuser:/home/testuser/public_html/test2:/bin/ftpsh
    test3:25tpVUiO8D/IU:32063:775:testuser:/home/testuser/public_html/test3:/bin/ftpsh
    testuser:$1$ZB2L5TiN$hMk20C55cPDheUA2z7l4H0:32063:775::/home/testuser:/bin/bash
    ftp:*:14:50:FTP User:/home/testuser/public_ftp:/sbin/nologin
    testuser_logs:$1$ZB2L5TiN$hMk20C55cPDheUA2z7l4H0:32063:775:testuser:/usr/local/apache/domlogs:/bin/ftpsh

Please, notice, that all passwords except one for the main login and username_logs are in the eird unrecogniseable encoding. Tried whatever i can think of, doesn't help. Have anyone found a way around this? CPanel support keeps silence. ;)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. jeroman8

jeroman8 Well-Known Member

Don't know what you mean really ?
    The passes are crypted and should look crazy !

Can't you login with FTP ?¨

On my server the proftpd used the wrong config file.
    Turns out there was 2 of them. I had a freebds server.

3. Vital

Vital Active Member

See, passwords should look like this: $1$ZB2L5TiN$hMk20C55cPDheUA2z7l4H0, i.e., they should start with $1$... What i have, is something weird, i cannot determine, what encryption is this, and ftpd cannot either ;) Which means, noone can login via addon ftp accounts... I have only one proftpd.conf, so it's not the case...