The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addon Scripts?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by red_baran, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red_baran

red_baran Member

I would like to know how to add some open source scripts to cpanel for all my clients to use. I have full control over the server.

Thanks

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. seelke

seelke Member

I would also like to know.
    Thank you, Eddie

3. wizade

wizade Member

4. seelke

seelke Member

I think what he was asking for is some documentation for the builtin addons configuration. There doesn't seem to be any.

5. Bytescanada

Bytescanada Member

Addons

They should have some sort of docs or something to allow people to add there own addons, Fantastico is an awsome problem, but the amount of money we are paying for cpanel, we should not have to go out and pay hundreds of more dollars on other 3rd party scripts. Does anybody know if there is such docs out there.

6. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can add on your own scripts -- as evidenced by Fantastico & Auto Installer -- you need only know what you are doing.

WHM/Cpanel is a Control Panel people! Not some magic script that does whatever one wants, without you having to know how to do something yourself. :rolleyes:

7. banpro

banpro Registered

Website Rob, your reply seemed kind of harsh there? As a programmer who's written tons of software and scripts which interact in some way with another vendor's applications I can honestly say that I would never begin to write an add on to any software without first seeking as much documentation as I could on it.

My own earlier post to this same board regarding the specifics on remote key access with WHM illustrates that point. It isn't that I don't know what I'm doing with my code, but rather I don't know for sure how what I'm doing (or planning to do) is going to be affected by someone else's source. Hence, I ask questions and seek documentation. Just like the poster you responded to.

I realize that cPanel isn't going to publicly release their full source. I wouldn't either. But I think the poster had a point with 3rd party development documentation. There could be more and better of it available, based on what I've been able to hunt down so far.

Just my input, it may not compute,
    Scott

8. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your point is valid, Scott, but only to a degree.

Bit of a personal personal problem with me, I guess, as I see too many posts on why WHM/Cpanel doesn't do; this, that, the other thing, make coffee and fix someone's personal problems as well. Too many people forget that any Control Panel is an addon script itself and must be treated as one.

Two scripts have already been mentioned that auto-install other scripts so we know it's possible. Do those script creators have any license deal between themselves & DarkOrb? I dunno, don't think so. Anyone wanting to know should contact DarkOrb about it. Also, there are various people creating scripts for Themes which, in essence, uses the same methods as a script installer. They seem to doing just fine and more are surfacing everyday.

Don't mind me, though, I'm trying to fix 6 different problems while I visit 3 different Forums and handle Support as well -- all at the same time! :D

9. banpro

banpro Registered

Rob, I understand your frustration when seeing the same "make it do everything" posts over and over.

I don't think Bytescanada's post really falls into that realm though, nor a civil request for slightly better developer's docs.

Like yourself, I don't know if other vendors have licenses in place with cPanel or not, but cPanel does provide (albeit minimal) some documentation for creator's of 3rd party software, so I assume to some degree they understand how every quality add on which comes along actually adds to the value of their own software. I just agree with Bytescanada that it could be expanded on slightly, which ultimately should work to improve cPanel's sales and position.

For myself, I'm fairly confident in my project that what I'm doing will work properly. However, since I don't have an extra cPanel server lying around strictly for testing purposes, there is always that little risk of data or account losses assosiated when testing a new script or software which will interact with WHM or cPanel. That's why I'd like to see better docs, it'd save time in back-up restores for angry clients:eek:

Don't work too hard,
    Scott

10. red_baran

red_baran Member

thanks for your replys (well some of them), anyway i understand that cpanel isnt magic or anything, i would just like to know were the scripts are stored and were in the WHM/Cpanel the links are stored

11. inogenius

inogenius Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'll give you a hint

/usr/local/cpanel/addons.

Just look at the code used. It's fairly simple to figure it out... just time consuming.

12. ES-207261

ES-207261 Member

Personally I would like to add my two cents.

A) you people shouldnt focus on negativity he has a VERY Valid point and i suggest he visits http://zervex.com and look into DSM it is far cheaper and HAS EXCELLENT Documentation on adding ANY Web app to the auto installation for users ( They even have a FREE Version of DSM)

B) there should AT MINIMUM be documentation for adding your own scripts.. i am a dev and frankly MOST of my hosting clients use MY software on their sites but i have to install it all for them or help them do it which is assanine Since i have cpanel. Fantastico is a waste of money.

C) the documentation of cpanel sucks ( Especially reguarding things like remote access)

D) If it is so simple to do why dont you post a tutorial for it

E) Website Rob We are all well aware of waht cpanel is and Does ( Or we wouldnt use it GEE WHAT A THOUGHT!!!) If the devs of fantastico and autoinstaller did it then it is possible but thanks to people like you mouthing off when someone asks a question and also due to horrible documentation. noone DOES know how and MOST people have lives and cant sit examining or hunting for tuts all over the net or examining every bit of source they can in their cpanel install. So why dont anyof you put your money where your mouths are and post a tutorial or two. these forums are for sharing information afterall I think people here need to learn to:

1: Chill out
    2: Dont be so defensive
    3: Be more helpfull
    4: Be more polite

13. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ES-207261, with an attitude like yours, it will be interesting to see what "you" contribute this Forum -- in a postive way of course.

Dragging up a thread that is over 2 months old so you can rant 'n rave, is not a good start for someone with only 3 posts at this time. As there is a slight difference between the number of posts you have made compared to the number of posts I have, I wonder if you've actually even read any of my posts; other than this one?

Me thinks you should follow your own advice. Walk the talk or read in silence. :D

14. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Look more closely. ;) It's actually over 14 months old.

Bringing up a thread over a year old to flame someone ISN'T a good way to start a reputation.

15. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Let's drop this before it goes any further.

16. ES-207261

ES-207261 Member

Well I ALREADY have a complete CMS System that is FULLY integrated woth cpanelin use on my site which i was going to make available here but with people like you ive chnged my mind.

17. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Obviously people do not know when to drop it. Thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.