Addon / Subdomain skeleton files revisited

Metro2

May 24, 2006
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Since we can't seem to reply to the original thread at Addon/Subdomain skeleton files , I'm hoping that maybe we can find some more people to vote / chime-in on this feature request - https://features.cpanel.net/topic/skeleton-directory-for-addon-and-sub-domains

Or maybe even see if cPanel will still consider publishing the guide that benny mentioned in the comments. Being able to have custom files auto-populate newly created Addon Domains and Subdomains just like how it works for master domain / accounts would be incredibly helpful to us shared hosting providers on many levels. Not to mention cut down on unnecessary addons / subs sitting there with nothing in them, and also let us provide an instant notice alerting users to wait for AutoSSL to complete before they go install WordPress or something without the https (which leads to them wondering why they have mixed-content issues once the SSL kicks-in). There's a huge list of reasons that having a skeleton files option for Addons / Subdomains would be of great purpose.

Please consider voting - https://features.cpanel.net/topic/skeleton-directory-for-addon-and-sub-domains - thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! I like this idea as well, and just added my vote. It might be worth reviewing the following details as well for more details on the hook system if you're interested in exploring that:

Reactions: Metro2

Metro2

May 24, 2006
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you for the reply @cPRex

If you read down through the comments at https://features.cpanel.net/topic/skeleton-directory-for-addon-and-sub-domains , you'll see that I'm not the only one who hasn't had much experience / time with standardized hooks (or just aren't comfortable experimenting) and that we were all hoping for either the feature request to happen or for the "guide" that cPanel Benny mentioned. It's been a couple years now since that was mentioned, so I was hoping to get some momentum one way or the other.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I did see there were other comments in that feature request, but as of this point we don't have a specific guide for this work. In order to create such a guide we would need to write a custom script, which is something we try and avoid on our end as much as possible as we'd hate to be responsible for something going wrong on your system - either now, or in the future when/if an update changes that behavior.

It might be best to work with an admin that is familiar with the hook script tools, as one could be found at System Administration Services

Metro2

May 24, 2006
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've noticed that cPanel has recently started automatically populating new Addon Domains with the following skeleton files:

400.shtml
401.shtml
403.shtml
404.shtml
413.shtml
500.shtml
cp_errordocument.shtml

However, they're the "default" system generates ones, not the custom ones I have in my /root/cpanel3-skel/public_html and there is no blank index.html file (something I have in /root/cpanel3-skel/public_html purposely so that when an Addon Domain is created, it's folder is not sitting there openly visible to people and bots).

If cPanel could tell us what they put in place / where those files are being generated from for new Addon Domains now, then perhaps we could customize those files and add a custom index file just like the way the /root/cpanel3-skel/public_html functions for the public_html folder of new master account domains.

It feels like we're so close!

Can cPanel please let us know where the new Addon Domain skeleton files are coming from / where they're stored so that we can finally have this long-awaited function?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@Metro2 - there will be a Tweak Settings option to allow the option of these being created or not in version 9.6.0.5, which is in the Current tier at this time.

These currently get pulled from /usr/local/cpanel/htdocs. Although it's possible these could be overwritten in a future update, I edited the 500.shtml file, created a new account, and my custom version was applied.

Metro2

May 24, 2006
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks very much for the insight. So it's not the beginning of actual skel for addons and can't put a custom index file in there :( Shoot... had my hopes up.

Reactions: cPRex