The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Backup settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calande2, Mar 23, 2006.

1. calande2

calande2 Well-Known Member

Hello, today I had a problem on my server. I have about a hundred customers on a small server, and I ran out of space all of the sudden. My backup files added up and occupied 75% of the HDD space.

Here's how backups are done nowadays on my server: backup everything everyday, every week and every month.

What I'd like to do is only save:
    - Backup of the day before
    - The previous week's backup
    - The previous month's backup

This way it would fit my needs and it wouldn't occupy too much space. How can I do it in the "Backup" section of WHM?
    Thanks,

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You can reconfigure your backup through the WHM >> Backup >> Configure Backup
    then: Backup Retention and Days to run backup

3. calande2

Thank you.

Under "Backup Retention", I only have: "Daily Weekly Monthly". Also, under "Days to run backup", I only have "Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday".

I want to backup:

- Today's user files and server configuration + delete yesterday's backup
    - This week's user files and server configuration + delete last week's backup
    - This month's user files and server configuration + delete last month's backup

How could I do that?
    Thanks,

4. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Basically, what you'll need is a cronjob that will delete the backups you don't want, as the various permutations of backups and retentions aren't going to give you what you want.

The backup script doesn't work the way logic would think it should. Here's what we think should happen:

On Jan 1-7, we make a daily backup. On Jan 8, another daily backup is made, and the Jan 1 backup becomes the weekly. On Feb 1, the Jan 1 backup becomes monthly.

But that's not how cpanel does it. It doesn't compute based on a days-since-made basis. Using the same schedule, cpanel does this:

On Jan 1, we make a daily backup. If none exists already, it also becomes the weekly and monthly backup. On Jan 2-7 daily backups are made. On Jan 8, another daily backup is made, but this also becomes the weekly. Eventually, we get round to Feb. and the daily, weekly and monthly backups are all the same again!

Catch that flaw?

That's why you'll have to script around it, one way or another. :rolleyes:

5. calande2

Thank you. I ordered cPanel exactly to make things more simple, faster, and not to have to use the command line anymore...

Do you know to whom I can talk at cPanel to suggest enhancing the backup functionality?

I didn't find anything here: http://cpanel.net/contact.cgi

6. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

If you are using a Linux based server, you'll need shell access to run a few errands. Even with Windows based server, need will arise to access the prompt and take care of jobs there. Good luck :)

7. calande2

Yes, but time is money, and web hosting is a competitive market, we have to cut on cost "at all price" :)

8. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

I think there are some reports at bugzilla.cpanel.net and if so, you can vote for the one that best fits your situation.