The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a Newbie?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snaggletooth, Feb 4, 2004.

1. snaggletooth

snaggletooth Registered

I am a relative Linux newbie looking to make my life easier by installing cPanel & WHM. I have a server that somebody else set up Slackware for me, and I have been maintaining it since then (about a year) without too many problems.

My question is: Assuming I can arrange a temporary home for my current domains (15 or so), will I have to rebuild the server in order to install cPanel? I assume that the installation would go best over a fresh OS install, but I am half-hoping somebody will tell me that the installer is smart enough to adapt to any system.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not sure about Cpanel & Slackware, cpanel.net should have info on that. I do believe Cpanel works best when installing on a clean OS -- no previously setup Hosting accounts, but don't quote me on that. :)

You might be best to find a temp home for your sites and install a new hard drive with a newer OS. RH 9 or RHE are the two most common and both work well with Cpanel. The newest kernel would also be advisable.

Unless you are a very quick learner, you might want to hire someone to quickly help you get things setup & running. If your contract with the Dedicated provides for Managed services -- don't be shy about asking for help.

It's possible the DC can setup your current hard drive as a secondary, install the new hard drive, the OS and Cpanel, then copy everything over for you. That would be the best way, overall, but will cause some downtime.