The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed re: multiple servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pctech4u, Jul 31, 2007.

1. pctech4u

pctech4u Member

I am hoping someone can give me any suggestions.

We currently have a cPanel server with over 1000+ accounts. We are now looking to purchase another cPanel box to start adding new accounts. However, all accounts currently have their own DNS zone;

username.mysite.com
    username2.mysite.com

and so on.

How would I be able to use another cPanel box for new user accounts yet still use the same DNS format etc. I have no problem using a cgeap box to just run the DNS in front of the two servers etc. Bear in mind this current cPanel box runs our nameservers (dns1./dns2. etc)

Also, I have links to the cPanel on our website. https://blah.mysite.com:2087/ - as I will have two servers this link will only point to the first one, so not sure on the best way around that.

Any help or advice would be great, or if you need any further explanations that's fine.

Thank you

Jim

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Do you mean you wish to host new accounts on the second server and wish to use the name servers of the first one? If yes, then you will have to create new accounts on the second server and have to create DNS zone on the old server with the A record as the new server.

Once the hostname points to the new server, the link to cPanel from your website will work fine. Like

https://blah.mysite.com:2083
    https://blah1.mysite.com:2083

where,
    blah.mysite.com pointing to old server.
    blah1.mysite.com pointing to new server.

If this is not what you wish to have, then explain a bit more.

3. JamesCTotalWeb

JamesCTotalWeb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well you could always just do the cPanel DNS cluster ......... thats what we do ;)

Just have name servers split between the 2 servers and let cPanel update the DNS zones on each server.

4. pctech4u

pctech4u Member

Shekhar - Thanks for the reply. I need another server as I don't want to stress the first server, so basically all new accounts will go on Box 2. The issue is that currently Box1 runs all the DNS, so if that was down, sites hosted on Box 2 would not be accessible either due to DNS lookups failing. Also I would need to somehow create zones on Box 1 for the sites I create on Box 2?

Basically I will need 3+ servers over the next 6 months and as such need to sort out the best to way to handle DNS instead of having the first box running it all and creating one point of failure.

James - Thanks for the suggestion.

So basically have box1 handling dns1.xxx.com and box2 with dns2.xxx.com ?

So if any one of the servers goes down the dns can still be reached - plus any sites hosted on the server that is still up will work?

5. JamesCTotalWeb

JamesCTotalWeb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Correct it will work ........ One issue tho when someone qurries the domain it rotates the name servers ....... so there will be issues at least half the time ....... but a refresh or two will lead to the site.

Now if you ran 3 servers each with a nameserver then of course your odds go down (1 out of 3 chance) ;)

6. pctech4u

pctech4u Member

Thanks for that :)

Do nameservers now work in the way that if DNS1.xxx.com doesn't work, it automatically tries DNS2.xxx.com ?

Any way around this?

James