The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on backups to remote server via SSH

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Daniel15, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Daniel15

Daniel15 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey everyone,
    Currently, me and some friends have a dedicated server with a few vservers on it, one of which has cPanel on it. I've also got a VPS that's used for backup DNS (using cPanel "DNS only"). I'd like to have weekly backups from the cPanel server go onto the VPS. The dedicated server has about 10 GB of files in /home, 1 GB in /var/lib/mysql, and around 50 GB free space. The VPS has 27 GB space free on it.

What's the best way of backing up to the VPS? I was thinking to mount the VPS on the dedi server via sshfs, and then making cPanel back up to that location, but I don't think that's the best solution? Should I make it back up to somewhere on the system, and then rsync that directory to the VPS? How much space will be needed on the dedicated server, and how much on the VPS? I only want weekly backups (this is a personal server for me and a few friends; daily backups aren't really needed)

Why's cPanel have an option for remote FTP, but no remote SFTP or remote rsync?

#1 Daniel15, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. PlatinumServerM

PlatinumServerM Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator