The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on slow loading site please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hypman, May 3, 2011.

1. hypman

hypman Registered

Hi Guys

I am a noob so please bear with me if i sound silly! Recently i noticed that my site was getting slow at loading so i ve contacted my host and theri support said its due to the database, they told me to optimise the database tables which i have done- no difference. They have told me to delete unwanted queries form the database which i dont know how to do as im waiting for their reply.

So can anyone tell me if this is a problem they should sort? Ive not done anything to my site lately that should cause any issues as far as i know. I checked my site with ALERTRA.COM and it failed every IP test!

This is my only means of business so i need to get it working asap - please can anyone help : ( or give me a link to follow for advice-

thanks

Gaz

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Gaz,

Can you provide a link to the site for us to view it and check the DNS entries?

At this point in time, we do not have sufficient information to know if whoever reviewed your site is correct or not for the reason behind why it is loading slowly.

As for whether this is something they should sort out, if the slowness is due to a script on the site or the database, this would typically be the issue for the site owner to resolve. Whether your host provides such support or not would be up to the hosting provider, and only they can answer the question if that is something that they are responsible for helping to investigate.

Thanks!

3. hypman

hypman Registered

Hi Tristan

Thanks for the quick reply. The site is www.ripleyhypnotherapy.co.uk i havent added any scripts lately that i can think of, its just taking a long time to get responses from them thats all, and if i cant think of any chnges i ve made i assumed it should be the server.

Thanks again

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have a dynamic site that adds content and/or users to it, then that site will be impacted by database changes. When I run a diagnostic test on the site to see how quickly it connects to the server, the initial connection is 0.5 seconds (a half a second) for the initial server connection. At that point, the site content then loads slowly with numerous elements on the page that have to load. The test ends up timing out before all elements can complete.

Here is a link to the test performed:

Pingdom Tools

This tool can be very useful in diagnosing issues with site content. Now, I cannot say if the server has any issues, but I can state that pings directly to the server are fast and telnet on port 80 itself is fast to the server's main IP. Your site is certainly loading slowly. It could be due to the content in your database or it could be due to how MySQL is performing on the server. Those aren't issues anyone here can resolve, and that needs to be taken up with your hosting provider. Based so far on what the diagnostic tool shows, the initial server connection is not the issue, your site content loading is the issue.

You could easily see if it is the server itself by creating a basic html page to see how quickly it loads. If it loads quickly, which it should, then Apache and the server connection are fine. Now, again, your database could be an issue, or MySQL on the server could be an issue, but the server or connection to the server would not be the issue.

5. hypman

hypman Registered

Hi Tristan

Thanks for the advice, i ve tried checking my plugins and it seems to be w3 total cache causing the issue. Thanks again though, you were very helpful : )