The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After a cPanel account suspension Google Analytics still records traffic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bcadej, Jun 23, 2016.

1. bcadej

bcadej Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have WHM with many cPanel accounts. These accounts have working web sites, email, FTP, … everything. In WHM I have suspended an account. This account has a website with Google Analytics code embedded. The GA recorded web traffic when the site was online. After I have suspended the cPanel account the associated web site stopped working and everything else – email, FTP (as expected). I couldn’t access the web site, FTP, email SSH, … (as expected) After some time I checked the GA account and saw that GA is still recording traffic from this site. How is this possible?

Attached Files:

2. webhostuk

webhostuk Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yes that's possible.. if you don't want that traffic you need to add google bot block rule in robot.txt , so thing like :
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /

this should stop all the traffic shown in google Analytics.

3. bcadej

bcadej Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As I understand when the cPanel account is suspended nobody can access .htaccess file or index file or any file associated with this account? So that Apache and php doesn’t even know that anybody made any kind of request? This account and web pages don't even exists? And nobody could access the GA code embeded in my pages?

What am I misunderstanding?

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Something like a proxy could be caching the website. In that case it's possible for the website to be visited and used, and GA tracking to work. For the time period in question is there anything in the domain's access logs that matches what GA is reporting?

5. bcadej

bcadej Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I haven’t used any proxies or caching (outside of this cPanel account). I have checked logs in /usr/local/apache/domlogs/this-cpanel-user. Logs shows activity just when the account was active, after suspension there is nothing logged.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's not whether you are using a proxy, it's whether anyone that visits the site is doing so through a proxy.