The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

after doing "service network restart" all add-on ip's disappear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cam94z28, Apr 19, 2011.

1. cam94z28

cam94z28 Member

The only way to get them back is to run "service ipaliases stop" "service ipaliases start". I believe they also disappear with a reboot, but I'm not going to reboot just to check. The main ip stays, but the add-on's disappear.

I could just add ipaliases to late startup scripts but wanted to see if there was a better way

#1 cam94z28, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have avahi-daemon on the machine? If so, it is withdrawing the additional IPs during network restart. You can see if it is doing that by grepping for one of the dedicated IPs in /var/log/messages to see if avahi-daemon shows entries for that IP address:

Code:
    grep dedIP# /var/log/messages
    Please replace dedIP# with one of the dedicated IP addresses.

To resolve the issue if it is avahi-daemon causing it, you would need to remove avahi-daemon or have it properly register the IPs for this to quit happening. Your datacenter, NOC or provider should be able to assist with either. I would not suggest removing avahi-daemon unless you have physical access to the machine at the time, since the entire machine could go down and become inaccessible upon trying to remove that service.

3. cam94z28

cam94z28 Member

yes /var/log/messages shows avahi-daemon withdrawing, then registering each of the ip's. This may have occured the last time I purposely restarted the network service, then had to restart ipaliases.

I am not familiar with avahi. What is the process to properly register the ip's, and can I accomplish this (rather than disabling it) without the provider performing it. FWIW the provider is fdcservers. I believe this happened over two servers, I just didn't realize what was happening on the previous one.

Would adding ipaliases to "monitor" rather than just "enabled" in service manager solve the problem? Cpanel should restart ipaliases as needed, if it's added to "monitor" correct?

#3 cam94z28, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know the proper method to register the IPs with avahi-daemon as that isn't a component that I've used nor is it part of a default CentOS or RedHat installation. That's why I recommend contacting your provider to ask them for assistance with it.

avahi-daemon does take dedicated IPs offline whenever the network is restarted unless the IPs are registered with it and the only way to bring them back online is to restart ipaliases. Since it's something that can bring a machine offline, I basically try to stay out of handling it and always encourage users to get ahold of their provider to have them deal with it.

Having ipaliases in enabled mode will not restart ipaliases in this instance as ipaliases is running (if it weren't running, the main IP wouldn't be online). The issue isn't ipaliases or network services, but avahi-daemon running and withdrawing the dedicated IPs.

5. cam94z28

cam94z28 Member

I successfully (with fdc standing by) stopped avahi by doing:
    /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon stop
    chkconfig avahi-daemon off

I then ran a "service network restart" and the ip's went byebye again. Chkconfig is now showing avahi-daemon as off for all levels, and "/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon stop" says it's already stopped. Running "service ipaliases start" brought them back as usual. Any other ideas that might still be causing it?

/var/log/messages has not shown any other avahi events since I restarted the network service on the 19th.

#5 cam94z28, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the IPs are still going offline when restarting the network and avahi-daemon is no longer withdrawing them, then you may want to submit a ticket for us to see if we can determine the cause. You can open up a ticket using WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or via the link in my signature.

7. erick_paper

erick_paper Well-Known Member

THis ticket comes up first in google when i search for "how to disable avahi". my firewall is going crazy sending me messages about this avahi crap.

May I confirm: is it recommended that we disable and shut down this daemon? I dont have any IP issues so I can turn it off.

Pls advise what's the recommended thing.

Thx

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    avahi-daemon is not required to run for cPanel to function. I cannot recommend one way or the other if you should disable it beyond stating cPanel does not need it. If you do decide to disable it, please ensure to have physical access to the machine if it doesn't come back online after you've disabled avahi and rebooted the machine.

9. mikelegg

mikelegg Well-Known Member

I just restarted network services and experienced this problem. Running "service ipaliases stop" "service ipaliases start" brought all of the additonal IPs back online.

avahi-daemon and avahi-dnsconfd are both disabled.

Should I open a ticket so that cPanel can investigate?

10. xanubi

xanubi Well-Known Member

service network restart, it's never enough to bring the ip's back.
    On a cpanel machine, you allways have to do:
    service network restart
    service ipalises restart

For several years and versions, i allways had to do like that, and still do.