The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After fsck we see yyyyy on screen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by its_joe, Sep 1, 2007.

1. its_joe

its_joe Well-Known Member

Hello,

We have CentOS with WHM 11 on the server.

The server went to read only mode. So we rebooted the server, went to rescue mode, and executed following command

umount /dev/sda1
    /sbin/fsck -y /dev/sda1

the fsck worked properly, but after 1 hour now the screen is showing many 'y' . I don't understand what to do now. I don't know is the fsck process is completed or it is going on ? I am not able to see the prompt again on the screen. But I see many 'y' on every line.

So please suggest me what to do next ?

Thanks,
    its_joe

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

:( Can you get any control of the machine at all, if you keep hitting enter what happens?

I dont want to alarm you but we saw this once and it was because the system pretty much gave up on a totaly damaged partition. If you cannot do anything you will have to decide if its time to try to reboot the machine or let it keep going, but the y's dont look good.

Can you boot the box or have your ISP do it?.

Just a note for the future, never tell it to assume the "y" response when you have a sudden hard drive error like this, you really want to see what is corrupted.

3. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

actually I saw this not too long ago on a console after a server ran away from me. It was ext3 Journal errors and all it too was a good hard reboot and FSCK turned up ok.

I would suggest if you get it running ..do a badblocks -v -v -v test on that drive.