The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After migrating some users cannot send email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by metal_cd, Nov 5, 2012.

1. metal_cd

metal_cd Member

I have just migrated from one server to another using the transfer feature, both had the latest version of cpanel/whm. Now that I have brought the new one live some users complain they cannot send, it just hangs. error messages then related to checking their settings to be sure they are ok. They have changed nothing, it is obviously due somehow to the migration. I did select dovecot on the new server instead of courier but everything I have read states this should be seemless. They can collect fine, it is just now the sending. What could be different that would cause this and why is it only with some? Any possible solution help would be appreciated.

2. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are many reasons for the emails do not work on new server.

1)Dns propagation.

2)Incorrect hostname and it's A records

3)improper rDNS records or missing rDNS records

4)Incorrect /etc/hosts records

5)Last but not least, poor IP reputation of your mailserver.

3. metal_cd

metal_cd Member

Thank you for the reply,
    It could still be that dns is propagating, but they are able to receive. Could it be a one way thing right now somehow?

I have checked and believe all hostname, a record, and rdns are correct.

With ip reputation, they are new ip's to me but I did run all through an online checker before setupand they are fine. Also, it is a problem that causes them it seems to just not connect(they do not seem to get to the sending part), it just kind of hangs or gives errors to check their settings.

Also, another thing, it seems they all had outlook, so don't know if it was just a coincidence or if there is something to that. I did go through the settings and they are as they should be and have been in the past.

4. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you please try webmail and see if emails are working. I hope they should work.

5. metal_cd

metal_cd Member

Yes, email works fine through webmail, even the outgoing. It can send mail just fine.